How much seat post exposure is too much

Fusions are low on the totem and retro MTBs aren't sought after as daily riders. I picked up a 1992 hammer with V-brake upgrade and the rest was close to original for $200... what a great value! but I was probably the only one emailing it. The more rare high end models don't stick around. Blizzard, altitudes, explosifs... original boradies and dekerfs will not last long on CL.

That explosif I linked looks like a decent buy to me and you can probably talk him down.

Walleater, have you seen that kelly for sale for months for $600 and then $500 with syncros cranks and stem and xtr parts? WHat a smoking deal, it's just way too small.

Yes, I have seen that Kelly. I've been tempted to take a run at it just for the parts. I'd love to have that crank and stem on my Zaskar. Never heard of the brand before though.

Thanks for the links. Haven't checked them yet. I've got feelers out on a 20 inch fusion frame and a 19.5 Denali frame at the moment. I also saw a 20inch Stumpjumper for sale. I owned that same bike BITD - hated it for trails, but it was a good commuter / tourer which is what I'm looking for. If I got the Stumpy I could use the Rampage parts to make the Zaskar more vintage and sell the frame to try to partially cover the cost of the replacement bike.

cyclotoine":2zi6xl3h said:
dirttorpedo":2zi6xl3h said:
Damn! :(

Ya, 19.5 to 20.5 was my frame size BITD. When I bought this bike I thought it was a 19.5. Crap, I can't believe my run of luck buying bikes and frames! This is the third frame that's too small. I even measured this one. Serves me right for not doing my research.

Oh well, there are a couple of cheap frames on Craigslist that look like they might be my size. Maybe I can sell the Rampage frame and get a replacement and be no worse the wear.

You should go get this one:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/b ... 36518.html

I emailed. Original owner but no fork. :(

That's a sweet bike, but out of my budget. Looks a bit large for me too, but I guess you don't really know until you swing your leg over the bike. I doubt I'd get what I paid for the Rampage if I resold it. I'd be happy with an early to mid 90's Rocky fusion/hammer, Norco Sasquatch/Nitro and/or a Kona Lavadome frame in my size.

I've not been looking much on CL as I've not really got anywhere to put another bike. My wife would kill me if I sneaked anything else in here, what with three bikes hanging from the ceiling, my Vertex in my wardrobe and my normal mountain bike leaning wherever it happens to be leaning at the time (and dropping mud everywhere...).
Yes, I know that the Fusion is 'low' end, but it's sad that someone would spend $200+ on a Supercycle that will last 6 months and always be crap, and overlook a lightweight, fast bike with midrange great working components for half that price. Maybe the hipsters will move to 80's and 90's mountain bikes next and with our knowledge we will become millionaires! :D

dirttorpedo":3jpl3hx1 said:
Yes, I have seen that Kelly. I've been tempted to take a run at it just for the parts. I'd love to have that crank and stem on my Zaskar. Never heard of the brand before though.

Kelly is handbuilt in the USA, the frame is worth the asking price.

http://www.kellybike.com/1st_aboutus.html

Better known perhaps, for his cross bikes.

I have some silver syncros stems and will be in vancouver next week if you are interested.

walleater":8nxk4w0s said:
Maybe the hipsters will move to 80's and 90's mountain bikes next and with our knowledge we will become millionaires! :D

More likely we will become curmudgeons and complain about how expensive they are now and you can't find a deal anymore. Kind of like the road bike guys did when the fixie craze exploded 6-7 years ago in vancouver and you could sell steel rimmed road bike for $250 within 24 hours... not so anymore. The market is flooded with production fixies now and those junky old road bikes aren't wanted anymore.

cyclotoine":2u03ia33 said:
dirttorpedo":2u03ia33 said:

Kelly is handbuilt in the USA, the frame is worth the asking price.

http://www.kellybike.com/1st_aboutus.html

Better known perhaps, for his cross bikes.

I have some silver syncros stems and will be in vancouver next week if you are interested.

What do you guys think about this old Fusion frame? Seller says its 20 inches from center of bb to top of seat tube.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/b ... 51862.html

Or how about this one? Guy says its a 22 inch frame which seems out of whack with what I see in the photo. Also says it fits up to a 6' rider which suggests its too small for me.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/b ... 19352.html

Syncros stems eh? I'm interested - what length and rise do you have?

walleater":2n9wog3y said:
I've not been looking much on CL as I've not really got anywhere to put another bike. My wife would kill me if I sneaked anything else in here, what with three bikes hanging from the ceiling, my Vertex in my wardrobe and my normal mountain bike leaning wherever it happens to be leaning at the time (and dropping mud everywhere...).
Yes, I know that the Fusion is 'low' end, but it's sad that someone would spend $200+ on a Supercycle that will last 6 months and always be crap, and overlook a lightweight, fast bike with midrange great working components for half that price. Maybe the hipsters will move to 80's and 90's mountain bikes next and with our knowledge we will become millionaires! :D

I don't really have the space either, but I can't stop looking. Of course now that I've confirmed I was a putz on my last purchase, I need to find a replacement frame/bike for my winter / backup commuter.

The Bianchi looks cool, but 20"??? I dunno, it looks smaller. Looks pretty original full DX group which is pretty nice. FOr the fusion, I don't think you can go wrong for $40 and if the wheels are good for $25 that is a bonus. I am sure you could get both for $60. I'd double check his measure. Rocky sizing was C-T but in 95-96, which I think this bike is as it has elements of both years (i.e. looks purple like '95 and decal colour matches, but fusion font looks more '96), it would be a 19.5 (no way it is a 21 just based on head tube). Be sure it is a 19.5... but I think you should really consider throwing your leg over a 21" Frame to see if it fits. Neither of these look that much bigger than the rampage.

cyclotoine":24t8m46z said:
The Bianchi looks cool, but 20"??? I dunno, it looks smaller. Looks pretty original full DX group which is pretty nice. FOr the fusion, I don't think you can go wrong for $40 and if the wheels are good for $25 that is a bonus. I am sure you could get both for $60. I'd double check his measure. Rocky sizing was C-T but in 95-96, which I think this bike is as it has elements of both years (i.e. looks purple like '95 and decal colour matches, but fusion font looks more '96), it would be a 19.5 (no way it is a 21 just based on head tube). Be sure it is a 19.5... but I think you should really consider throwing your leg over a 21" Frame to see if it fits. Neither of these look that much bigger than the rampage.

Just talked to the Bianchi guy - he says its was measured at his bike shop at 22 inches center to top of seat tube. Bikepedia says that the largest size they sold that in is a 21.5 inch which would make it an extra large. I'm guessing it is a 92 or earlier because of its thumbies. Bikepedia only goes to 93 and indicates rapidfire in the spec sheet. It does look in good condition - maybe a bit of a garage Queen. Fellow seems keen to sell. I'm always thrown off by these older frames. I was fitted at WestPoint onto a late 80's fusion in a 19.5 frame size and looking at my old photos that thing had a tiny steer tube. Certainly much smaller than the Rampage sitting in my garage. That Fusion I posted looks like it might be taller than the Rampage. I'm leery about going a size up because of my short stand over (I'm long enough in the torso to need tall shirts and only wear a 32 inch legged pant). I just barely fit my 58 cm square roadie and I test road a 21 inch Specialized Rock Hopper a few years back and I barely cleared the top tube. Definitely wouldn't have wanted to off road that bike. I think a "large" size frame is where I need to be. Still I may check out that Bianchi if I have the time.

Back