The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Re: The Hi-Fi Chat and sales thread

Maybe this should be a closed 'members only' thread? Just incase police are watching

Re: The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff and sales thread

I've just read all 129 pages - Greenstiles was a good contributor and will be sorely missed. That Daily Mash article would have made him titter.

Offered for sale is the Quad 303/33/FM3 combo I picked up a while ago.

The 303 power amplifier works with any issues. Cosmetics are 7.5/ 10

The 33 pre-amplifier seems ok. Cosmetics are 6/ 10

The FM3 works too with just the stereo bulb blown. Cosmetics are 7.5/ 10. It has a wobbly tuning knob. Will investigate this.

The main cosmetic issues are simple paint problems. Age - these look to be 1980 built - so you can understand what goes on with skin oils and paint.

They are easy to take apart and service. You dont have to match the colours exactly, there are plenty of ready mixed car paints out there. In fact the silver is suspiciously close to our Fiat Doblo!

The exciting bit is that I have the wooden sleeve too, quite a sort after item in itself.

So, considering age and cosmetics, I'll punt the lot out for £170 UK posted. There will be power leads included plus the 4 pin pre/ power connector.

*EDIT: overall condition is actually pretty good. Its just the tuning knob on the FM3 that has some bubbling. The 33 volume knob is just a bit dirty.

Attachments

• Quad 303 33 FM3.jpg
    Quad 303 33 FM3.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 4,578

Offered for sale is an Akai AM 47 integrated amplifier.

Bloody huge!

80w x2 into 8 Ohms - real, manly Watts.

8/ 10 condition. Cover has scratches - I could respray this if you want

£59 GBP UK posted.

Google pic:

stereo_integrated_amplifier_am_47_1239040.jpg

I've passed the details of the Quad on to a previous customer of mine. He's a bit of a collector and that looks right up his street.

That Akai is a beast! :D

Just picked one of these up for a tenner :)

1.jpg

WTD. Cheap CD player :D
My current CD player(actually a dvd player) has died so i need a replacement.
Technics would be perfect as thats what the rest of my current bits are bobs are ;)

apache":1hvl1hmp said:
I've passed the details of the Quad on to a previous customer of mine. He's a bit of a collector and that looks right up his street.

That Akai is a beast! :D

Just picked one of these up for a tenner :)

1.jpg

Good score you going to change it?

Righty ho hifi fans.

In order not to get overly pilloried I'd like to state that I'm currently selling a thorens record deck somewhere.

On the other hand have a set of audioengine (a5?) active speakers bought a while back. These consist of one 'slave' speaker which seems to be working fine and one active speaker which is powered and includes the amp for both speakers. The active speaker works fine (although there seems to be quite a thump when you switch it on) but it's output for the slave does not. Plug any speaker into the output and all you get is nasty crackles on that channels. So, anyone recommend somewhere who might be able to fix these? Spoke with audioengine, their UK importers, neither were any use nor were able to supply any schematics. Tried a hifi place a friend recommended, came back without charge but without being fixed, don't think they could be arsed basically. Even tried posting on some AV forums, the polymaths on there recommended I try speaking with audioengine. Any suggestions out there??

Gaz, re. the Sansui - no, just going to service - replace any caps looking past their best. They're lovely as they are. Always wanted a 217 in my teens but couldn't afford!

John, you're right, there are no schematics out there. I'm guessing that they use one of the current vogue of 'T' class amplifiers, which are basically a very efficient way of doing things without the expense of big power supplies, and are hyped to the point of fairy-tale regarding their audio performance. They are usually an amp on a chip, so as such are either dead easy (if it's the chip) or not economically viable (if it's the PWM circuitry around them) to repair.

I'd be happy to take a look for you, but cant promise any timescales. If I can sort them, no charge other than shipping.

Latest posts

Back