White Elephant

I have a NOS 24" BMX cruiser frame in the shed which I'm pretty sure I'll never build up. Even if I got that far I'm pretty sure I'd never ride it. Think I bought it because it's yellow.

This

16809083.a5ab20d8.640.jpg

16809231.dfaf9451.640.jpg

My Carlton Criterium. It's a lovely bike and it rides really nicely, but it's just not the right bike for my purposes. There's no provision for a rack or mudguards and the gearing is too high. I'm sure I could sell it quite easily, but I don't seem to have got round to it yet- I keep convincing myself I'll use it.

speacialized hardrock frame and marin rocky ridge frame, both aluminium and both sat in my loft as I am sticking to my 'I have enough bikes' mantra (just!)

My Carlton Criterium.

Ooh, haven't seen one of those for years. I had a Carlton Pro-Am, which was the model below I think.

Not mine, which is long gone:

carltonproam.jpg

I saved for ages to buy it when I was about 14 and did thousands of miles and everything on it, club runs, 10, 20 and 25 mile time trials and a bit of light touring in the Lake District; which was hard work with 42-52 chainrings up front and a 13-18 straight six on the back. :shock:

The Pro-Am looks to be a pretty much identical spec to the Criterium, except the Criterium has a 13-24 freewheel. I still find myself running out of gears sometimes, maybe I need to MTFU a bit :D

The History Man":19vzp39i said:
Nice shots!!!!!!!

keep it.

Thank you. That's pretty much how it works, I look at the shininess and decide to keep it. It's great to ride too, responsive and comfortable. I just never seem to find the time to go out on it.

The Pro-Am looks to be a pretty much identical spec to the Criterium, except the Criterium has a 13-24 freewheel.

What is the frame made of on the Criterium? The Pro-Am had 531 main tubes only, rear triangle and forks were plain high tensile steel. The 13-18 block, was one I put on, I think it originally came with something more sensible. :D

And speeking of white elephants, mine was perhaps the Raleigh Road Ace:

Raleigh-Road-Ace.jpg

Raleigh-Road-Acedets.jpg

I bought one of a friend at the club I belonged to at the time. It was a "better" bike than the Pro-Am, full 531 frame and forks and full "aerodynamic" Shimano 600ax groupset and I think it had tubs. It was about 3lbs lighter than the Pro-Am, but despite that and the better components, I didn't like it and much preferred the ride on the cheaper, lower specced Pro-Am. :?

xerxes":6p6gd6kh said:
What is the frame made of on the Criterium? The Pro-Am had 531 main tubes only, rear triangle and forks were plain high tensile steel. The 13-18 block, was one I put on, I think it originally came with something more sensible. :D

I've never managed to find out. The seller said Columbus, but I've never found any evidence to support that. The seat post is the wrong diameter for 531, I think it matched the size for gas pipe but I'm sure it's not that.

Back