My 2001 Rock Lobster winter re-fresh. Now finished!

Really good job on this chap.

If I may be so bold as to offer a thought, I would prefer it if you took the brake bosses out and used (white) blanking bolts in, as I think it looks a bit cleaner.

Very nice, looks great and nice components. Your rear mech cable outer looks a bit short though ;)

Really like these frames, but I think they're a bit too XC for my 'do it all' bike :(

Thats a beautiful thing Mark! I bet it rides well and weighs in sweetly! Dont take it as a criticism but whilst it looks sweet not sure that grey would have been my personal colour choice....

Thanks guys.
I originally built this up to save my Santa Cruz Superlight from the rigours of a muddy, sandy Purbecks winter.
The idea was to have as few moving parts as possible, for the nasty grit to get into.
Unfortunately, the SC still managed to fail at the pivot bearing so I got rid of it in favour of a 29er hardtail.
I enjoyed the Rock Lobster so much though that I decided to keep it anyway.
It's coming in at 22lbs on my luggage scales Doug, which isn't bad :D

Re: My 2001 Rock Lobster winter re-fresh

makster":2wm2tcku said:
Thanks. I've been watching how you're getting on with those brake bosses.
I considered removing mine, but I thought I'd leave it as is in case I want to use them at a later date.
I'm really clutching at straws with the frame date. I figured it to be around 2000 though as it still had the v brake bosses.
I may ping an email to Merlin and see if they can help out.
I don't think that follows, as they continued with V-brake bosses until c2005. My 2004 team tig sl has them.

I believe my 853 is a 2001 and it looks like yours. The serial number is B9910380. This was extremely difficult to read through the (original) paint, but I assume you made a note of your serial number when the frame was stripped?

the word ( inspiring ) springs to mind :D
well done mark that looks like one fantastic ride and to go with the rigid forks just sets it off from the norm, love the splashback tyres they compliment the build quite well with a nice clean looking theme on the overall build, mines still in the process of removing paint and was to be a slow build over time due to my 97 rl build taking up a large chunk of the budget but i guess thats due to the xt gear :roll: ( shame the xt group is all silver and not black :cry: ) but having seen yours now finished i may have to reconsider the priority and move the 97 on to finish the 853 a bit quicker :cool:

Thanks Mark, and thanks again for the karma 853 decal :cool:
It did exactly what I wanted from it tonight. Handled the muddy purbecks a treat. Just a shame my fitness didn't match the bikes performance!

Back