axle and crank arm gap.

casper2788

Devout Dirtbag
Putting together my TVT92 but a little unsure about the gap inbetween both crank arms.I am getting a little vibration from the chain when on small ring back and small front so looking at why when i noticed the chainset arm was more on the axle than the other.Maybe it needs to bu further out so the chain angle is not so bad.

Attachments

• axle 001.JPG
    axle 001.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 614
  • axle 002.JPG
    axle 002.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 614
Is the axle in the wrong way round? .......or am I being a bit old and thinking about asymmetric axles?

Shaun

square taper crank/axles all looked like that till the last Campag 102mm/ Shimano 103mm spindled versions , i have just refitted my Cannondales DA 7402 cranks with a 110 mm axled bb as there was more than enough clearance (chainstays and back of pedals and the small ring ) with the stock 113 unit

ps JIS cranks will fit fine on ISO tapered axles IMO as more crank alloy has interface with the steel tapers as long as the axle do not protrude past the "flat area"

casper2788":2lbiphn7 said:
...when on small ring back and small front...
You shouldn't use that combination (or large/large): the combination is too extreme for the chain and as well as being very inefficient, causes excessive wear and is likely the cause of the vibration.

If you check your gear ratios, you'll see that you have an equivalent combination using the large chainring and a larger sprocket.

I like this gear calculator, as the graphic interface is easier to understand than just a table of numbers.

ScillySuffolk":2s9pup5y said:
casper2788":2s9pup5y said:
You shouldn't use that combination (or large/large): the combination is too extreme for the chain and as well as being very inefficient, causes excessive wear and is likely the cause of the vibration.

It might also be the chain rubbing on the inside of the large ring in small/small.

Old Ned":1gnwb6lb said:
ScillySuffolk":1gnwb6lb said:
casper2788":1gnwb6lb said:

It might also be the chain rubbing on the inside of the large ring in small/small.
Yes the chain is slightly catching the inside of the large chainring.

ScillySuffolk":1y7latcl said:
^ Exactly!

What cranks do you have and how wide/long is the BB?
The cranks are dura ace 7402 and the axle is 115mm wide.I don't suppose the crank bolt hole has widened do you think. :? :cry:also dura ace b/b.

ScillySuffolk":39kocyyg said:
casper2788":39kocyyg said:

If you check your gear ratios, you'll see that you have an equivalent combination using the large chainring and a larger sprocket.

I like this gear calculator, as the graphic interface is easier to understand than just a table of numbers.
I see what you mean,good info that :D

Midlife":1yuxaew4 said:
Is the axle in the wrong way round? .......or am I being a bit old and thinking about asymmetric axles?

Shaun
Already thought of that,tried it both ways.thanks

Back