Bottom Bracket thread cutting tool

Tel

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
The time has come for me to get a bottom bracket thread cutter. Does anyone have one they would like to sell or know where I can get a bargain basement one from?

Tel":1lb6y9vb said:
I am the local bike shop! ;)

Thanks stringfellow1946 looks very similar to the one from SJS http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/super-b-bott ... prod27328/

It's either one of them or someone has offered me a VAR one which I presume will be superior quality?

Tel
The Var one is just heaver built. I have both of the models .
I got the Var one first, way back in the early 90's but when I was working as a Pro Race Mechanic I got sponsored by Weldtite as well as a few other companies (KMC, Pedros, etc)
I was given the Weldtite version of the BB tool I posted ( they both look the same to me) & in my opinion the Weldtite is better than the Var & the cutters are a bit cheeper to buy/replace being as you will need both English & Italian versions..
Don't skimp on this tool as you will be using it all the time even on brand new frames. I ran the tool through every single new frame I ever built up as a matter of default. As about 95% of them are badly cut from the factory. Plus every time I fitted a new bottom bracket in a customers bike I always ran the cutter tool through first to be on the safe side, especially if its an Alloy frame & Alloy cups on the B/B. Just charge a few quid every time you use the tool to cover the cost of eventually replacing the the two cutters.
I'd also suggest you invest in a headset cutting/ alignment tool as well at the same time because most of the time the top & bottom Headset Cups are never ever parallel or square to one another either.
Hope all of thats of some help to you.
Chris

Very helpful Chris thank you. I ordered the one that you linked to on eBay as the one at SJS just seemed too cheap as it included facing tools too and as you said I do not want to compromise too much on quality, although cannot stretch to the likes of Park Tool.

So that's £150 invested for a £10 job! No wonder I'm broke!!!

Thanks again for your input.

Back