Urban RetroBike #4 - 16th November 2013

johngrubb":29jd3k44 said:
Please put me down for this. What time are you meeting at East Croydon Train station? Thanks.
We'll probably meet at East Croydon just before 10 am and have some more join us in Greenwich around 11. It's a fairly leisurely ride but covers a fair few miles, great to see a new name to go on the list.

Hi, i have read through this, and it does grab my interest! despite living not far from the big smoke (Aldershot) i don't often get anywhere near it, and an urban ride would be cool.

Couple of things that worry me, 1 i have never done a ride with a group before- 2 i have hardly ridden in 6 months, and 3 not sure if my bike will be ready (awaiting parts still, orange c16r in the build section)

If i can make it, what is recommended to bring with? is it a flat out spin through the city? is there tea?

Thanks
Niall.

Niall, in answer to your questions:

I have never done a ride with a group before
- well this is a great introduction, we ride at the pace of the slowest rider, the whippets spend more time talking whilst the rest of us humans catch up.

I have hardly ridden in 6 months
- The route covers a fair few miles, if you haven't been on a bike in a while then you might well struggle to make the full loop. Perhaps joining at Greenwich and leaving around Victoria would be more achievable.

If I can make it, what is recommended to bring with?
- Light cross-country type MTB or hybrid type bikes work best, 26 x 1.75 or 700 x 35 are ideal tyre sizes. Puncture proof tyres are highly recommended. Most carry a back pack with an extra top layer, puncture repair kit/spare inner tube, bike multi-tool plus light snacks and fluids as per personal preferences.

Is it a flat out spin through the city?
- Not really, the roads are too crowded and dangerous, we err on the side of safety. The key is variety, within minutes of leaving East Croydon you could be fooled into thinking you are deep in the countryside. There is a fun underground foot tunnel, canal tow paths, gravel tracks, a BMX circuit, a trip past the only road in the UK where you drive on the right hand side of the road and many other curiosities.

Is there tea?
- 2 tea stops and a pub stop 2 miles from the completion of the full loop.

With regards to pace, I may well have a sprung saddle and panniers.

Fee free to draw the obvious conclusions! :LOL:

Roll Call - Urban RetroBike #4 - 16th November 2013

Under a week to go, it's time to compile a list of riders:

Definitely Coming

andyz - Purley 09:35
elpedro666 - Greenwich?
FlossyRockstar - East Croydon 10:00
johngrubb - TBC
PurleySquire - Purley 09:35
Pyro Tim - Purley 09:35
secret_squirrel - Greenwich?
Wizard of Oz - East Croydon 10:00

Possibly Coming

Dropped Out

al-onestare - Greenwich - 11:00
Shute55uk
unit3

Still in - currently wondering which bike to bring and wondering if I can be bothered to swap the puncture resistant schwalbes onto it. 15 year old smoke lites are puncture proof right?
:shock:

Ps - I'll be the one ordering cakes with me tea so I'm not going to scare anyone for pace.

Nice one. I'll probably meet you at Greenwich this time rather than Croydon, then scoot off as we get near Victoria rather than the full celebrity ;-) stuff - luckily I get to see it a fair bit so I'll leave it to you boys. What time do you estimate you'll be at Greenwich?

Do I pop down on the cruiser of the commuter? It'll depend on the weather...

Hi,

I'm up for this. i've tried to make it a couple of times but not been able to do it. This time I'm feeling it. I aim to meet at the station for 10am saturday. can someone please confirm the station name. thanks

Wil be riding my clockwork urban reto fat bike.

kean

Back