1987 Raleigh 653 race

Baz-IRL

Dirt Disciple
DSC_0003-1.jpg

Found this a couple of weeks ago on a badly listed auction on eBay,I was the only bidder and duly won. :D
From what I've read countless times here and looking at the '87 frame set catalogue scans I'm pretty sure I've got a type 8801 frame. Campagnolo drop outs Cinelli marked BB shell and seat post lug.
Dura Ace 7400 group set,Shimano 600 headset,Cinelli stem\bars,Campagnolo Record hubs laced to Mavic CX18 rims.
The bike is near mint condition,seller stated the bike was never used and when I got my hands on it I found this to be the truth. All it needs are two new tubs and replacing of those frayed brake cables.

If any of the experts can shed some light on the following queries I have about the frame itself,
In the catalogue scans the 653 frame had on top cable guides whereas mine are under slung and also my one has a pump peg which I can't really see on the scan.
Now from reading threads on similar frames am I correct in thinking the 653 frame was made of a mixture of tubing?
Could it be the case that this frames selection of tubing came with a peg and under slung guides?
Or is it simply a case of don't go by the pictures in the scans? ie it's states frame colour as "Oyster with metallic red and green decor" but clearly shows a red white and blue frame.

I love that bike - the lad with the money in my old club had one and I was very jealous!!

653 is 753 main tubes and 531 rear triangle

like that big time!!

whats the initials under the 653 badge mean? ive seen this before on other frames

BTW ,how was it listed,and ,can you say how much you paid??(cheeky i know,lol)

oldschoolfool":25j0g7kz said:
like that big time!!

whats the initials under the 653 badge mean? ive seen this before on other frames

BTW ,how was it listed,and ,can you say how much you paid??(cheeky i know,lol)
It's G.O.D. for Gerald O'Donovan, top frame builder at Raleigh when steel was king

Thanks for the likes. :LOL:

oldschoolfool":332gj1uq said:
was it only put on high end frames,or ones he worked on?

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=178542&hilit=Gerald+V+O'Donovan
Some insight into the G.O.D. decal. Marketing? maybe, but I tend to think it's on the frame due to it been made from one of his designs. That's one debate I'm staying out of, plenty of people here have a ton of knowledge on the subject.

Search for item no. 400432893604 on eBay and you'll see it.
What I payed was it's starting price,the auction was also "open to offers" and a BIN of £600. :shock:
I had a friend over in London so they were able to bring the bike back with them,so no shipping expenses.
It was listed under collectables rather than sporting goods. I was surprised it didn't pop up on the eBay\marketplace threads.

The Gerald O'Donovan decal appears on late-ish framesets, I suggest from around 1988 (I think it was around this time) when GO'D moved from Ilkeston to Nottingham, I've seen this decal on many less than top end frames.

So for marketing reasons.

My SBDU frameset never had this decal from new, and often these decals are retrofitted (wrongly IMO). Regarding Reynolds 653, this effectively replaced 531 Professional which in turn replaced 531 Superlight. 653 is not a tubeset as such, it is a concept tubeset.

Hope this helps, and a nice bike by the way :D .

Roadking.

I have one of these frames in reasonable condition but been resprayed in blue and yellow, anyone got an idea what it may be worth, I am considering selling it as I need the money to purchase a Team Fat Chance Yo Eddy

Back