Clockwork info thread

Re: Clockwork info please

Clean looking bike that. Theres just a great feel to a steel frame and i agree they do tend to float over the small stuff well.

Brocklanders : how many of the bikes in your signature have you still got ?

brocklanders023":2n7i8c2p said:
The old school ones never had a 'made in Halifax' badge as far as I know as they were not and never pretended to be. They were always very clear that the bikes were designed for the UK but built overseas (except the Formula)

Rubbish.

Christ it wasn't that long ago people here were arguing they were all made in Halifax, and Orange certainly didn't go out of there way to broadcast the fact, im sure you will agree. (approx. end of 2010 :roll: )

Which one of the Experts ride Colemans old Prestige....? when he first got the bike he posted it was built in Halifax and im sure most agreed..... :roll: And plenty took umbridge when it was pointed out it wasn't, I probably still have the PMs to be fair. :facepalm:

Its all irrelevant now, but having "BUILT in England" on a bike Pulled a lot of Sway BITD, and was im Sure a contributory factor to a lot of people buying the product, Oblivious to the fact it was far east produced .

I can count on one hand how few mag reviews mention the full facts BITD.

The "BUILT in England" badge said it all for a lot of british bike companies, and YES it did put a lot of Noses out of Joint, especially those that were "actually" hand building frames up and down the country.

And FWIW not all Clockworks were made in the Far east either, a small amount prior to mass produced far east frame purchasing were "Genuinely".............."HANDBUILT" in the Uk,..... just like the Formula.

Very few Remain.... ;)

Wish you hadnt told me about a few being built in halifax because I WANT ONE OF THOSE NOW :facepalm:

By the way sinnerman. The cw you just built , if you had to put a price on it. What would it be ?

tuubz":3sr362f8 said:
Wish you hadnt told me about a few being built in halifax because I WANT ONE OF THOSE NOW :facepalm:

There were several made here in the uk, using Tange Prestige Tubesets, followed by some early lower grade tube set frames fabricated in the far east and clearly labelled prototype, before the finalisation of the finer points prior to mainstream far east production/purchasing.

I think Coleman has an early far east frame with the prototype decal, that I sincerely hope he is refurbishing carefully.

Thanks for the info guys , its given me plenty to think about.
Also just looked through some old threads and enjoyed the reading.

Cheers
Mike

tuubz":ek1wsoit said:
Thanks for the info guys , its given me plenty to think about.
Also just looked through some old threads and enjoyed the reading.

Cheers
Mike

When the bikes finally get finished I shall post a thread. and add to the clockwork owners thread too.

:cool:

sinnerman":9e686ugd said:
brocklanders023":9e686ugd said:
The old school ones never had a 'made in Halifax' badge as far as I know as they were not and never pretended to be. They were always very clear that the bikes were designed for the UK but built overseas (except the Formula)

Rubbish.

Christ it wasn't that long ago people here were arguing they were all made in Halifax, and Orange certainly didn't go out of there way to broadcast the fact, im sure you will agree. (approx. end of 2010 :roll: )

Which one of the Experts ride Colemans old Prestige....? when he first got the bike he posted it was built in Halifax and im sure most agreed..... :roll: And plenty took umbridge when it was pointed out it wasn't, I probably still have the PMs to be fair. :facepalm:

Its all irrelevant now, but having "BUILT in England" on a bike Pulled a lot of Sway BITD, and was im Sure a contributory factor to a lot of people buying the product, Oblivious to the fact it was far east produced .

I can count on one hand how few mag reviews mention the full facts BITD.

The "BUILT in England" badge said it all for a lot of british bike companies, and YES it did put a lot of Noses out of Joint, especially those that were "actually" hand building frames up and down the country.

And FWIW not all Clockworks were made in the Far east either, a small amount prior to mass produced far east frame purchasing were "Genuinely".............."HANDBUILT" in the Uk,..... just like the Formula.

Very few Remain.... ;)

Really don't know where to start with this one......

I have never argued any such thing, don't let that stop you though. I have never had a retro Orange that has had a 'built in England' decal although I have not owned every model so would be interested to see one that does. My Saracen does but never on one of my Oranges.

I've got an MBUK artical from around 1991 where the Orange chaps speak quite proudly about designing here but getting them built overseas. Can't say I ever thought anything else even as a child bitd. I am fully aware of the few early hand built Clockworks but have stopped referencing them as I've never seen one and it just confuses the issue as people then think their far east built 1989 is one as it's an early bike. I did think I'd scored one once when I got the bike labeled as 'Prototype' but when I found the serial number I realised it was not the case so sold the bike on.

I'm the 'expert' that now owns Colemans Prestige. Please show me where I have ever said it was hand built.

Also, could you please point out which part of my original post was rubbish.

tuubz":2vtedmfw said:
Brocklanders : how many of the bikes in your signature have you still got ?

That's out of date now tbh, I should change it as I've only got the Saracen now. Got a new Prestige and Clockwork to add to the list though. ;)

Back