F**king cars

legrandefromage":1oi5wups said:
and our Doblo brakes down for the second time in 90,000 miles.

Alternator has just eaten its bearing tearing up the belt in the process - it happened just near our house.
Jesus, these Italian cars; you just can't trust them!
The missus has a Fiat- Punto 1.2, 2002. The engine oil is still gold at service time but the sump still rusted through and the wires in the loom don't like being next to each other...
Get an old Forester Alison . A bit more on fuel costs but it'll start when you have to dig it out of the snow and never fail to get you where you need to be!

suburbanreuben":5tldad25 said:
legrandefromage":5tldad25 said:

Alternator has just eaten its bearing tearing up the belt in the process - it happened just near our house.
The missus has a Fiat- Punto 1.2, 2002. The engine oil is still gold at service time but the sump still rusted through and the wires in the loom don't like being next to each other...
Get an old Forester Alison . A bit more on fuel costs but it'll start when you have to dig it out of the snow and never fail to get you where you need to be!

My ex GP still drives an 04 plate one, most of my GP's don't have anything older than 2 years, so she must love it. I had heard they were really good cars, I was trying not to go down the 4x4 route but maybe I should have considered one.

Alison

Alison":9dqj6zho said:
suburbanreuben":9dqj6zho said:
legrandefromage":9dqj6zho said:

My ex GP still drives an 04 plate one, most of my GP's don't have anything older than 2 years, so she must love it. I had heard they were really good cars, I was trying not to go down the 4x4 route but maybe I should have considered one.

Alison
Don't think of it as a 4X4; think of it as a car where they've thought of everything. You won't be far wrong!

I think our only alternative is to ditch the car and livee with bikes and public transport. The worst thing is the children won't be able to go to friends unless their friends parents are willing to offer transport. But we have no dosh and no chance of getting any to fix it for at least 6-8 months and Christmas is bloomin weeks away. I F*CKING HATE CARS :twisted:

Alison

this is in a way why I like not having a lot of money. can only afford £300-£400 cars (my little polo cost me £200 :LOL: )

at least with that if they go wrong and cost a lot to fix, it's cheaper to just get another car. you spend little, you lose little. ;)

plus they are generally basic cars so I can fix them myself.

MarinMartin":2yrwhc69 said:
this is in a way why I like not having a lot of money. can only afford £300-£400 cars (my little polo cost me £200 :LOL: )

at least with that if they go wrong and cost a lot to fix, it's cheaper to just get another car. you spend little, you lose little. ;)

plus they are generally basic cars so I can fix them myself.

But even then you've still got to pay for TAX, MOT, insurance, petrol, tyres, over a year that's an awful lot of money, is it really worth all the sleepless nights? + I have the mending capacity of a fingerless ape.

Alison

Well, decision made, I've cancelled the insurance, Husband has printed off the form for refund of vehicle tax and to sorn the car, we'll see how the time we spend over the next 6-8 months without it goes and decide whether or not we repair the car or sell as spares or repairs.

Alison

Alison":rrzfbt0c said:
I think our only alternative is to ditch the car and livee with bikes and public transport. The worst thing is the children won't be able to go to friends unless their friends parents are willing to offer transport. But we have no dosh and no chance of getting any to fix it for at least 6-8 months and Christmas is bloomin weeks away. I F*CKING HATE CARS :twisted:

Alison

Look on the bright side non of you will get chunky, I've not had a car for many many years maintained a trim 16st 7lb for as many as years. I had a pedometer a while back an was doing 15000 a day just bobbin hear n there about 7.5 miles. I know its different with a family, shopping, outings n that but make the best of it 6 months fitness in which ever way you take it it's all good just depends how you look at it :D

Edit I know I don't know your circumstances an I've no kids but.... Look to the positives always works for me?

Just come across one problem, at the end of cooking last night the gas cylinder ran out I went out and turned to the other tank and I've just discovered that's empty too :shock: and I'm not sure if anyone delivers calor gas this far out. God knose what we are going to have for dinner tonight :oops:

I wonder if we can get one via taxi :D

Alison

Back