1980's Ian May Aero Bike help required new pics added

Re: 1980's Ian May Aero Bike help required

biggs682":1r8p86y9 said:
Nob":1r8p86y9 said:
biggs682":1r8p86y9 said:
Nob never seen any Reynolds speedstream before so will have to keep an eye out

i had an aero tubed french made frame a whilst ago that i have just up loaded pics to my flick r http://www.flickr.com/photos/68734341@N04/ account but this was only teardrop shaped on down and main tubes

My EG Bates Low pro is Reynolds Speedstream SL & its a rare tubing evn back then in the early 80's when Alan Bates made my frame in 83.

nob would be nice to see some pics .

have also noticed forks are Zues 2000 on this bike , keep trying to contact Ian May but so far no luck

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=143656

Thanks Biggs & she will look allot better once the items I have sourced are installed :)

biggs682":1xe4dwtt said:
Old Ned":1xe4dwtt said:
Are you sure he's still alive?

no not sure and that could be a good reason why phones not getting answered

That's why I asked. I have a feeling that he died quite young, possibly 20/30 years ago which is why the shop in his name closed but possibly started again as K Cycles?

Yes Ian is dead I'm afraid and although you might find the shop still listed online in business directories, it has definitely closed.

The phone number has been reassigned to a domestic residence.

I wasn't able to find much out about the man, except a) he had a reputation as an "experimental" framebuilder and b) he sadly died young.

I was also puzzled by the tubeset of mine as it was "aero" but lugged, which didn't fit the spec of any of the known aero tubes.

Eventually I realised it had an Italian BB and headset (27.0mm fork crown).

Quite by chance I was browsing Hilary Stone's website and found a Simoncini (scroll down)described as follows:
"This Italian built Simoncini aero road frame is built from Oria ML25 tubing which has been reshaped into aero profiles on the seat and down tubes. I think it dates from the later 1980s."

Apparently when cycling discovered aerodynamics and Shimano released their AX groupsets, a number of builders were inspired to create aero frames to match. Lacking any OTP aero tubesets, they took round tubes and had them squashed.

Couple of links to my threads:
- Retrobike
- Cyclechat

Simoncini-aero.jpg

emanuel":2c5714kx said:
re: that simoncini,we profiled the tubes inhouse.

the more i look at those pics the more i think that is same frame just different colour .

and this post has reminded me to ride it more

Back