White Elephant

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
What bike or whatever is your white elephant ?
By this I mean the bike/frame/component or whatever that you bought, instantly regretted but cant seem to sell on or dispose of ?

Mine is a 2007 Dahon Matrix folding mtb frame. Why I thought I wanted one I cant remember. It was not cheap, its actually pretty modern which for me a dedicated retrobiker is unusual and its sat in the back of my shed unbuilt for 3 plus years now.

I have decided I must build it and ride it just in case I do see the point of it. But I may get some decals saying 'White Elephant' made up :facepalm:

Boss e-stay. Hate it.

Back in 1999 it was a brand new Cannondale F3000 Disc. It was a terrible bicycle.

95ish Marin Team Titanium I bought to replace my stolen Salsa, got rid after 3 months and order the Fuquay, just couldn't get on with how it rode compared to the steel bikes I had.

A green Holdsworth from a catalogue on pay weekly years ago all because it had sti on it and bio pace cranks :facepalm: after I week I hated it, edit nicked the pick of Treverkershaw, hope he dunt mind.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 491
I have never bought a new bike so I also never had the experience of overpaying for something I ended up hating and could not unload. But dozens of old bikes I thought would be good sellers ended up being dogs. Most recently an IBOC pro that I could not give away

Steven

I don't know what they were but, and I'm sorry mother, but ALL the bikes my mother bought me as a kid. If there has ever been a string of nightmare bikes it was those :facepalm: the only time I had any of my childhood bikes working properly was once when I'd gone to the village only to be chased halfway home by some ruffian children and it actually worked all the way till I was safe then the chain came off and jammed completely solid.

Alison

Some weird (but lovely) Kooka cranks which I paid £60 for, around 7 years ago. They were a bit like Razors, but with a nicer shape on the arms, and a totally different logo. I realised one day that I was so scared of scratching them, I'd never actually put them on my bike, and for some reason Mrs_Koupe wasn't keen on having them as a living room ornament. Think I stuck them back on eBay after a couple of years and lost £25 :D

Back