Buying a bike advice please

Bpool77

Senior Retro Guru
Well I made a stupid mistake by not bringing a bike with me when I moved here, I thought there'd be retro steeds a plenty here. There isn't and I'm wearing all my trainers out fast (hard to find my style of those to). I need a bike ASAP as I'm feeling trapped and it's a lot easyer exploring on wheels.

So what to do? Buy of RETRO BIKE and get it shipped over ? I'm only after a mid/low range bike so will it be worth it? There's no point in getting a unicorn as it's pretty rough where I live in the town and any thing that's shiney gets lifted (people make a € by routing through the bins?)

Any ideas? What would you do? The bike shops sell weird makes a extortionate money and I've seen one second hand Trek for sale at €85 and it was battered and a BSO ish model?so what would you do?

Bpool77":14oto6gv said:
Any ideas? What would you do? The bike shops sell weird makes a extortionate money and I've seen one second hand Trek for sale at €85 and it was battered and a BSO ish model?so what would you do?

Start a business importing decent bikes?

But seriously, many Ebay sellers will ship to you and if the used options are as bad as you say then the extra shipping cost should not be too much of a hurdle. Otherwise talk a mate into a visit and have him bring a nice big bag along.

Steven

Top tip - contact Foz (Andy) on here - he is in Spain and should be able to sort you out.

Richard

Are there any bike tour/adventure places nearby? The season has ended and they may be looking to offload....

I can't help you out with a bike myself, but segundamano and milanuncios are good starting points. There are loads of bike shops in spain though, and if all else fails then decathlon have reasonable bikes at decent prices - they're the best quality/price ratio for new bikes at the low to mid end. Retro bikes aren't as big here as they are in the uk, but they do exist. I'm nog aware of any retro-specific forums, but the largest bike forum in spain is foromtb, there is some retro stuff but mainly road.

FWIW, shipping a bike from the uk to here can be done for under 50 GBP, so if you find something you want in the uk and the seller is willing to ship abroad...

Let me know if I can be of any help

Andy

foz":18niuamf said:
I can't help you out with a bike myself, but segundamano and milanuncios are good starting points. There are loads of bike shops in spain though, and if all else fails then decathlon have reasonable bikes at decent prices - they're the best quality/price ratio for new bikes at the low to mid end. Retro bikes aren't as big here as they are in the uk, but they do exist. I'm nog aware of any retro-specific forums, but the largest bike forum in spain is foromtb, there is some retro stuff but mainly road.

FWIW, shipping a bike from the uk to here can be done for under 50 GBP, so if you find something you want in the uk and the seller is willing to ship abroad...

Let me know if I can be of any help

Andy

Cheers Foz I think I'm going to go down the retro route from the U.K. defiantly not new from over here. I've never bought a bike with any form of suspension never mind disks!
Thanks again ,Daz

Back