Greenstiles - Rest In Peace

First page updated with funeral details along with details for Nigel's widow's nominated charity.

greenstiles":d017c7xy said:
Came across these the other day. In about 92/93 I used to make very very very basic maps on a photocopier for local trails. Only have some prototypes left. Also walked all the bridal ways in the area and talked with the Forestry commission / farmers about signage, cycling on there land etc. They used to just have a pic of a bike ! So they (allegedly) stole our ' traffic light system for a while, with posts with red,amber,green arrow markers (but think they used blue not green). I forgive them ;)

Please don't forget some of the early pioneers who wrote early guide books and people that help build the early trails. And all the unlikely looking riders young and some quite old who blazed their own way where no one had ridden before, I knew of many unsung heroes who never got any credit for helping open access to bikes. And how history has been altered to make certain modern custodians look they started it all themselves !
maps001.jpg

maps004.jpg

maps002.jpg

how about getting these scanned, printed and available for sale with the funds heading to Aspie?

Thank you John for posting the link.

And thank you to everyone who has posted their thoughts in this thread, I think it would of amused Nige.

I think he would like the idea of a ride in his honour, but rather than limit it to just the cycle riders I think it would be good it it could be opened up a little. Nige was a family man and his son is too young to join in on a ride so how about a day out?

Cycling for those that want, a motorbike ride for anyone so inclined and a family picnic? Everyone welcome, participate in any part of it you wish.

I think this year is getting too dark and cold now, so a late spring meet up?

Ideally in Wales somewhere near Dolgellau or Machynlleth, places close to his heart.

Any ideas or suggestions please let me know, or post them on www.greenstiles.org.uk

If anyone down that neck of the woods who knows the area and the rides please do get in touch.

beeing a freshly baked father myself i can not say how shocked i´m reading such bad news.
i wish his family all the power it needs to get through these hard times.
all the best
kay

Hope the happy memories of Greenstiles will be of comfort to the family in time to come. So sad to hear this news and I will be thinking of you

Carol

Another post from me to say I'd like to hook up for a group ride next spring in his memory. Good point, that sometimes due credit is not given to the early UK trailblazers of our great sport.

Gut wrenching to see this pic of him with his new born.

Heart goes out to his family.

RIP

Very saddened to hear this, I've not been around these parts much of late but saw Johns post on FB. Greenstiles was one of the forum members I had a lot of time for. I didn't always agree with the content of his posts but I couldn't fail to always agree with his passion. One of the good guys around here, best wishes to family and friends.

Back