Raleigh MTRAX Ti 1000 18"

SEANSTEPHENS":2xixygh4 said:
Why do titanium raleighs sell so cheap when other ti frames sell for 3 times the price if not more?

I don't think it is actually a full ti frame. I believe it has Ti main triangle tubes bonded into steel or aluminum.

cyclotoine":28ejcpdx said:
SEANSTEPHENS":28ejcpdx said:
Why do titanium raleighs sell so cheap when other ti frames sell for 3 times the price if not more?

I don't think it is actually a full ti frame. I believe it has Ti main triangle tubes bonded into steel or aluminum.

That's correct. The top tube and down tubes are commercially pure titanium, which is bonded into aluminium (and I think steel) lugs, with a steel rear triangle. The more 'up market' Ti frames instead use welded, aerospace-grade titanium.

These old M Trax and Dynatech frames were an interesting idea - giving some of the benefits of Ti (flex) , while keeping a stiffer rear triangle, without breaking the bank.

As I understand it its the top and head to bb tubes that are titanium. The rear triangle including the seat tube are ChroMo. Still a great ride though, I've got 2 of them.

Latest posts

Back