Removing sealed bearing units from a bb shell

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have a rather lovely (though not sure of brand) and super light ti BB, bit the bearings have seen better days. Luckily they can be removed as are sealed cartridges, though I can't for the life of me see how to get them out of the threaded section of the thing. The axle comes out, leaving the bearings within, and nothing of the bearing is visible to hit with a hammer ( :roll: ), so has anyone got any thoughts, ideas or wizardry that might help me fit new bearings?

Thanks

Oh, and if you happen to know who made ti bearings with a 4 pin cup, I'd be interested to know as I've no clue what mine is, aside from it is nice, and if it fits, it will be going on either my dyna-tech or pace, as these are the only rides I have with square taper (it would be overkill on a Saracen tuff-trax me thinks).

Can you put the axle in from the wrong side and knock it out?
Maybe also try heating it a bit to expand the aluminium.

I like your thinking, will see. Need to get back to you about the trunion too - been a bit to busy to get to the garage but I can send you the rs one and the fox one if it would help?

No worries.
Which one is the mount for. I'd need the linkage that it attaches too as well ideally, the one with the plastic spacers in.

They tend not to be a very tight fit, small chisel spanner from the outboard side inwards should free them. It may well crack the outer race so they won't be reused afterwards. I think they're normally 6903 bearings, a cheap pair for under a tenner, ceramic pair for under twenty.

Back