Marzocchi fork "plug extraction tool"???

actually it says 20 SAE in the XC600 service manual, which does not mean/equal 20wt.

if you read the MTBR thread i linked to, viscosity and wt are two different things.

SAE Weight/wt call it what you like. (wt has I think just become a generic 'unit/term' I don't even know what it means)

SAE is just a standard though.
SAE 7.5 (bomber) is thinner than SAE 20 (XC600)

If it doesn't have W after it (which is actual more relevant for forks I would think) then it's the viscosity at 100degC so quite pointless for forks, mine have never boiled water off them.

I don't think the low temp 'W' has a standard temp ? but they are not mentioned on forks oils.

Give it a go, see if you like it at SAE 7.5W

I know they vary, but if it has the SAE at least at 100degC it should be a standard measure.

That is of course SAE means the same in Suspension fork oils as it does in Motor Engine Oils.

I'll read that link later :)

I had some XC700 a while ago. I think it's best to use the proper tool - they work like a wine bottle cork screw. As for oil, XC700 according to owners manual stated also SAE 20. I checked a few charts and used a mix of Motul Medium Weight 15W 80% and Motul Light Weight 5W 20%. Can't remember the pressure off hand but it's low - something like 35 PSI per leg. It's just to do a bit of trial and error.

There's a chap on the web called Dr Marzocchi and I think he's a member here - he's a bit of an expert in these.

For the record I use Rock Oil SVI http://www.rockoil.co.uk/ from CRC (and there is somewhere near me that sells it)
Plus it's good enough for TFTuned
They say the rebrand for others so is probably under many other names.
It was cheap and works plus they have a large weight range so I can blend if needed (or run out of one by a little bit ;))
Since I do RockShox and Bombers I have 5 and 7.5 but need some 20 for some XCR (same as XC600 but bolted together differently I think, but I cannot separate the lowers.
Both work for me in their intended weights.

But now you have me idly searching :LOL:

another table, but with Rock Oil in (or at least easier to read)
http://transmoto.com.au/comparative-oil-weights-table/

Still who knows what the oil viscosity was like 15/20 years ago. No doubt there are more/different additives and whatnots in the oils now.
(still xc600 where using 20wt, when the other Marz forks where using 7.5wt and RS Mags where using 8 and 5 wt )

kraeMit

If you're having trouble still getting the cap out, remember it's just a valve you're grabbing... so a pump will fit/old style long hose works well to grab it or stick a valve cap on it and grab with pliers.

(p.s. they'll go very nice on the bike :))

I've talked to kraeMit via some PMs, he's not 100% certain regarding oil brand/weight either. :( He was the chap i picked up the rebuild kit for my XC600 and XCR from, as well as a spare steerer and shim, as one of my crowns can take 1"-1-1/4".

Gonna give the oil I got a go. What's the worst that can happen? I'm a fairly lightweight rider, only about 140lbs.

Looking for a replacement fork brace to swap out the current one that uses the "rocker" style cable straddle device, as i need a cable stop for my coil/spring straddle for use with CT brakes. :( anyone got a spare?

RockiMtn":1pvyt0lk said:
Looking for a replacement fork brace to swap out the current one that uses the "rocker" style cable straddle device, as i need a cable stop for my coil/spring straddle for use with CT brakes. :( anyone got a spare?

You want the fork brace from the XC500?

Back