Why I hate my bike

This topic just goes to show how time consuming messing with old bikes really is. I have a large number but rarely ride them. my modern stuff is so much better :shock: {Can i say this on this forum, :facepalm: } The frames how ever are a work of pure craftsmanship.A Carlton International or a Cinelli frame are things of beauty.

Using alloy bars that are often 40 +years old . is it really a go idea

I will close the door as i leave.

Agreed bagpuss, which is why I'm keen to stick newer components on it. This bike is my commuter and I depend on it.

I've also got a Dave Hinde M2 and that gets even less maintenance but it never lets me down. Just gets on with it.

I just cured what you've described about your headset. Mine is a Russian size so I can't get a replacement headset. Headsets wear more at the front and back than at the sides. Take the fork off and pop the two headset cups out the head tube. Put the top one back in 90 degrees round from where it was and the bottom one 90 degrees the other way. You've now moved the worn bits out of phase with each other and it'll now turn freely and smoothly when re-assembled.

Run friction shifters with little or no lube, otherwise they do drift unless they're done up so tight they won't operate. Check the limit screws on the front mech as well, because if it's marginally too close it'll keep jumping off the big ring if there's no indexing to hold it in place.

Sounds like your seat post might be too small, or there is too much grease on it.

I have a pair of Shimano Tourney Centre pulls going if you need them :?: ;) Even have all the little cable hangers for conversion too ;)

I have none of these issue with a 40 year old frame - ok so the drive train is 20 years old but thats not cheating...

Is it?

Strip frame

replace friction stuff with quality indexed era kit from 1987 onwards.

replace headset with 'normal' modern part

pull hair out as crown race sits loosely or doesnt want to fit at all

buy cheap but nice looking wheels from someone who has just bought a Trek - they're bound to want carbon rims soon.

Then call me in the morning.

The bike will then out live you.

Back