Pumps

Kapelmuur

Retro Newbie
The Retro article in the November issue of Procycling is about the Belgian cyclist Hubert Hutsebaut and is accompanied by a photo of him during his winning ride on stage 4 of the 1971 Vuelta.

What intrigues me is that he has a pump attached to his seat tube, this despite the fact that the photo shows his team car alongside him carrying spare wheels on the roof.

Was it usual for racers of that time to carry a pump? If so, where can I get one (with frame attachments) for my early 1970's bike?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Don't pay £17.99 for that bashed alloy one :shock: , better ones than that turn up on eBay for less money. It doesn't have to be Bluemels, I have an AFA one and a Lapize one that both look the part.

Just had a thought.....you mentioned frame attachments / pump pegs. Do you have them on your frame?

Not suggesting you spend a lot on a bashed alloy one, just a pointer. My Pumps from the 70's don't work very well by the way, something inside has perished so they would be cosmetic :)

Frame pumps started to become popular in the 70's as well which didn't need pump pegs.

People with money to burn had a Silca with a Campag end like this .....

http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... AbsPos=259

Later Silca pumps had built in Presta adapters (the imperio)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-SILCA ... 1e778b5f28

Shaun

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Midlife":3945on5w said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=bluemels+bike+pump&_nkwusc=blumels+bike+pump&_rdc=1

Bluemels pumps were a popular choice in the 70's..........the alloy one with coloured bands was my choice at that time. Need to check the size though (Compressed).

Shaun

Are those still in production at all? I'm sure the big Halfords branches in Cannock and York sold the Afa version with "tricolore" bands until comparatively recently!

David

To answer Midlife, my frame doesn't have pump pegs. In the photo I referred to the pumps appears to be attached to clips screwed to the tube.

The illustration of the SILCA pump has reminded me that I had a similar pump in the '60's that was concave top and bottom and was held between the top tube and BB by the tension in the spring of the handle.

I'm still curious as to why a pro racer would carry a pump when supported by a team car.

To answer Midlife, my frame doesn't have pump pegs. In the photo I referred to the pump appears to be attached to clips screwed to the seat tube.

The illustration of the SILCA pump has reminded me that I had a similar pump in the '60's that was concave top and bottom and was held between the top tube and BB by the tension in the spring of the handle.

I'm still curious as to why a pro racer would carry a pump when supported by a team car.

Pumps were compulsory in the early TDFs. Don't know when the rules changed, a bit after team cars became common place I guess.

Missed that thread.........would never have dreamt that pumps would have been mandatory but they were I read !

I rode in team car's in the 70's waiting to leap out with a new wheel if someone punctured.....practiced for hours but never had to do it in anger. Thank god...... I would have made a real pigs ear of it with my luck :( Used to spend the pre-race picking every bit of grit out of the tubs. Stood there spinning the wheels and holding a riding glove against it before they got on.

Shaun

Back