Campag Tipo

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
Just what was Tipo?
I have several pairs of wheels with what were called Tipo hubs. I seem to thing that we really only used the name for hubs.Is it just GS in some form or a nickname or what?

Nuovo Tipo were the cheaper siblings to the Nuovo Record range......... the giveaway was the hubs had round holes and the skewers were curved :)

Shaun

.. and no grease-port/steel clip in the centre of the barrel.
IIRC the bearing race inserts on Tipo may have been a step down in quality from the ones used in Record- cheaper production process, or a step left out of the Record production process, or something..

Midlife":2bpajjp6 said:
.... the giveaway was the hubs had round holes
what do you mean?

later Record also had curved skewers, but the lever was nutted onto the skewer as opposed to circlipped on. Also the other end of the skewer was a coned adjuster incorporating a wingnut arrangement.
The locknuts on the axle were simple flats instead of the meaty ones with cone spanner slots.

I was never sure about bearing quality, I found tipo just as good with a substantial price difference

I think Midlife was referring to the cutouts in the flanges on LF Tipos.

Regarding bearing quality- I could never afford Record anyway, so I can't compare. I've got no complaints about the pair of Tipos I've been using for the past 30 years.

Correct Torqueless......... I should have been a bit clearer, I did mean the cutouts in the flanges :D

Shaun

Tipo are nice hub, in fact they are a very early version of the single-piece design, earlier Campagnolo GS and Sport (v.rare) had separate flange castings. Tipo and Record hubs are very similar minus the following differences.

1. Cups - Bearing cups on Record were ground with heat-treated surfaces where as the Tipo versions were just pressed on.
2. Size - The outside diameter of the Record front hub cup is larger than the Tipo. Front locknut and spacers are also different.
3. Skewer - As mentioned above, different design
4. Oil port - None on Tipo

Back