Vitus 979 with nice bits, finally with pics right way up!!!!

Taul Paul

Devout Dirtbag
Nothing much of a rarity but as an engineered frame I wanted one. They must have been a leap forward back in the day, this 60cm eg only weights just under 8kg. I used the 54cm Peugeot as the donor machine thus the frame with headset, post and BB is for sale.
The red one has............
Strong light BB.
Mavic cranks and rear mech.
Huret front mech.
Campy record hubs, shifters and post.
Mavic tubs rims with nice butted spokes.
Yellow!! Turbo seat.
Sakae new Royal SR stem.
3TTT Olympic superlaggero TDF bars.
Black Weinmann levers?? and type 500 calipers.
Early Specialized pedals & Christophe Z clips.
TA cage.

Someone really knew what they were doing when it was originally built as the Peugeot, as low weight was obviously a target. The original build had an alloy Maillard free wheel and alloy wound outer brake cable. The freewheel was not good and also the brake outer so they have been binned. The stem is also a nice thing as it turns out to be the very rare version with titanium screws!!
Anyways the spotty tape seems to keep the theme of black and yellow.
Any likes?????
I have 5 more finished projects to show you in time.
Anyone know how to date this vitus?????

Attachments

• photo copy 6.jpg
    photo copy 6.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 1,127
  • photo copy 2.jpg
    photo copy 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,126
  • photo copy 3.jpg
    photo copy 3.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,126
  • photo copy 5.jpg
    photo copy 5.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,126
  • photo copy 7.jpg
    photo copy 7.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 1,125
  • photo copy.jpg
    photo copy.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,126
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,126
Re: Vitus 979 with nice bits

snʇᴉΛ ǝɔᴉu puɐ ɥO

¿ɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀ uᴉ noʎ ǝɹ∀

Re: Vitus 979 with nice bits, finally with pics right way up

8kg some carbon moderns weigh more than that ! i like the way you have such a variety of brand's on the build
there must of been a great deal of pondering , or fishing. love that crank set. bet she fly's.

Nice bike. I'm a real campy guy but these Mavic parts are very nice and can be used in hard conditions.

Love the color of the saddle, handle bar tape fittimng to the text on the frame. Nice project!

what parts did the peugeot branded frame donate ? I know the 1st gen vitus used the standard method of seat post clamping and the 2nd gen used a grub screw into the back of the post , I happen to have a NOS all silver clamp on mavic front mech if you want to go that way

latman":11rlrsl2 said:
is the red vitus bike the same frame as the peugeot branded frame ? I know the 1st gen vitus used the standard method of seat post clamping and the 2nd gen used a grub screw into the back of the post
Yes the red frame is the same as the Peugeot, it has the seat clamp not the grub screw.

latman":11rlrsl2 said:
what parts did the peugeot branded frame donate ? I know the 1st gen vitus used the standard method of seat post clamping and the 2nd gen used a grub screw into the back of the post , I happen to have a NOS all silver clamp on mavic front mech if you want to go that way
The Peugeot donated all but the head set, I would have used the HS but the threads were different from one frame to the other. Shame as the Bador HS is a nicer thing, I have the correct 52 Mavic ring coming from a Retro biker. I also have a KMC chain on as the old chains?? well what can I say, I don't know how anyone can use one these days.
The wheels are the most in balance wheels I have, so smooth, and the spin up effort is so low, will be great climber next year out in the Peak District. L'Erioca???
Took her out 1st run on Sunday in the autumn wet and leaves, loved it, came back proper crapped up. Loved it.
oonaff":11rlrsl2 said:
8kg some carbon moderns weigh more than that ! i like the way you have such a variety of brand's on the build
there must of been a great deal of pondering , or fishing. love that crank set. bet she fly's.
8KG it is the second lightest bike I have, folks can't believe it when they pick it up and its a 60cm frame 61.5cm C-T. Great. The lightest I have is the all carbon £2000++ machine.

Cheers
TP

I have the same fluted Mavic cranks on my Vitus and the large ring has mavic "engraved" on it , they also seem "smoothed" on the inside edge (I also have some later 130 PCD starfish cranks and those rings are the same too)

Gastheerg":vuy2rxbz said:
Nice bike. I'm a real campy guy but these Mavic parts are very nice and can be used in hard conditions.

Love the color of the saddle, handle bar tape fittimng to the text on the frame. Nice project!

Those Mavic rear mechs had a weak tension spring for the pulley cage/jockey wheels as I had one explode on me during a 25TT in wales back in 81.

Back