1991 Marin Pine Mountain

Re: Marin Pine Mountain...what year...any help appreciated

It would've had a full DX group set. Pretty sure everything I left on is original except the bar and the gripshifts, which are later cheap ones.

Hello Mate,

These make up great bikes and get lots of glances when riding about.

Here`s my 1991 pine mountain which is also 19" frame size for your info. The bike is 100% original (I have swapped the saddle but have the original).

The spec is basically all Shimano DX inc front/rear mechs, cranks, headset, shifters/levers, hubs etc.

The frame stickers on yours look pretty good but if you do think of replacing these then I made up a sheet of correct decals with Gil. I should still have the proof somewhere if needed?

Jimbog that is a beauty! Very excited about getting mine up and running. Will probably leave decals as they are for now and then tidy up at a later date.

A nice bike and a nice price for what you got! The Pine Mountain what a good spec upper end bike back in 1991. 91 is my favourite year the chain and seat stays got beefed up in the form of Marin's "new" Afterburner stays. Of the 2 years that the zolatone was used (1990/91) I prefer the darker grey of the 91 models. Other differences from the 1990 are that the decal on the 90 are white whereas by 1991 they became colour coded to the fork/stem/bars. As has been said DX all over it down to DX hubs with Araya RM17 rims. I remember it cost £679.00 back in 1991 I bought the Muirwods as new myself in 91 and that was £329 this was way outta my league back then. I now have the 91 Team (see my sig) which was/has/is the bike I truely dreamed of at 16! I have had the 1990 Eldridge and my wife rides a 1991 Eldridge....

...If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them :D

Doug

Ok so the bike was picked up last Friday (thanks again to t1nt1n and CCE). The decals are in poor condition and the flouro has a bit of scratching to it BUT the frame paintwork seems in really good condition.

First problem to overcome is the fact that the seatpost is stuck. Have been putting penetrating oil into it and will continue to do so for a few days and then pay a visit to someone's with a vice which I hope should do the trick. Only problem is the seatpost will probably need replacing (missing half of the fitting anyway) and 29.5 isn't the commonest of sizes. If anyone has one lying around let me know!

Some bad pictures taken below...will give a good clean up and t-cut once the seatpost issue has been resolved!!

I t-cut a small section of the forks and it came up rather well. Defo worth a few minutes if you have some t-cut

The frame looks in really good condition!...I would recommend using a toothbrush, washing up liquid and hot water to have a scrub of the frame it comes up really nice this way. As for the forks...hmmm I would get them powder coated...shouldn't be too expensive £25-£30? As for the seatpost I may have one I'll have a rummage...but you could always use a shim? Autosol to polish up the brakes. The bars are not the original straight ones as I guess you know...I have some straight bars in black not orange though. I'd source some DX STI'd and loose the gripshift personally too. Oh and 1 detail on the decals the forks should have Marin in black...the afterburner decal on the seat stay should only be on the drive side...and the american flag on the toptube near the seat tube end should also be only on the drive side.

Hope this helps

Doug

Cheers Kier :D

Doug - definitely going to clean it up and get the toothbrushes out soon enough. Not a fan of gripshift so they will go, and will also get some flat bars on there too as the risers on there are quite cheap and not really in keeping with the rest of the bike.

This was going to be a very very cheap build but I am really liking it and now want to spend lots to get it fixed up to a half decent standard :facepalm:

Appreciate the comments re decals, will get them sorted out properly once it is up and running...

Ok so not much progress thus far. I have been sourcing a few parts..this is going to be a budget build as far as possible but you can pick up some good bargains if you aren't in a hurry and look around. Most importantly I have secured a seatpost as this is not the easiest size to get!

Bad news is that I have been unable to shift the seatpost. A week of penetrating oil and attacking with a vice yielded no results...

What does anyone think of my saddle choice? Not period correct but matches colour wise and is retro looking...think this is possibly the only bike that this colour would look ok on!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-bucket-s ... omo-rails/

Back