Cleland Aventura no19 Frame and Bars

Well done Andy! I hope you find this Aventura both an interesting restoration project and an interesting ride.
The brake levers look like they are probably the originals; although they do look ugly and cheap, suitable levers (ie not bendy or too long) were not thick on the ground back then and these were one of the few designs available.
Likewise, handlebar stems were variable in price, but there was little difference in quality. The stem/clamp on this bike is not original, but it's not far off the original so, in terms of authenticity, it would be reasonable to leave it in place, since the original was no work of art. I don't think the very slightly longer extension will radically affect steering, as Graham suggests.
I originally fitted a very very cheap saddle with the idea that customers would fit their own choice of more expensive saddle; the ideal recommendation being a Brooks Conquest. In that sense, the saddle is appropriate.
The front gear cable arrangement is as it should be. On prototypes I used a full-length cable, which ran under the bottom bracket shell. However, this soon filled with water and the inner wire rusted. There were no top-run front mechs available back then, nor PTFE liners. I experimented with a little lever device to allow top-run. Considering that there were only two chainrings, and front-end shifts quite rare, running a bare wire under the shell, which has a thick polyester powder coating was, for the period, a good solution. Leave it as is, with the occasional addition of a little dab of thick grease.
If you PM me with your address, I'll send you an original set of decals and some sheets of mudguard extension material.
I also have one final pair of the original Oakley3 handlebar grips for a donation to my new prototype fund, if you're interested?

GeoffApps":a07ewzo5 said:
The brake levers look like they are probably the originals; although they do look ugly and cheap, suitable levers (ie not bendy or too long) were not thick on the ground back then and these were one of the few designs available.
They can't be the originals because, according to their website, the 'Promax' brand has only been around since the late 1980s. They also look as if when pulled, your fingers need to be on the outside so as not to get trapped between the lever and the grip. The Shimano XT levers are doglegged so as to leave a gap for the index and second finger. i.e. to hold on tight to the grips with the two inside fingers whilst braking with the outside ones.

GeoffApps":a07ewzo5 said:
The front gear cable arrangement is as it should be. On prototypes I used a full-length cable, which ran under the bottom bracket shell. However, this soon filled with water and the inner wire rusted. There were no top-run front mechs available back then, nor PTFE liners. I experimented with a little lever device to allow top-run. Considering that there were only two chainrings, and front-end shifts quite rare, running a bare wire under the shell, which has a thick polyester powder coating was, for the period, a good solution. Leave it as is, with the occasional addition of a little dab of thick grease.
Interesting!
I have always run the front changer Bowden cable in a wide arc passing above the bottom bracket shell. I have never had any problems with water ingress and as you know, I do like the occasional ride in the mud.

Back