Carlton Corsair Handlebars?

rover75

Dirt Disciple
Just taken delivery of a Carlton Corsair. Needs work but will keep me quiet over the winter months.

Stupid question but what make of handlebars were fitted to the Carlton Corsair? The Corsair was made June 1980. The stem is branded Raleigh but nothing is visable on the bars.

Although the frame is Reynolds 513 were the forks? The forks have chrome, although slightly pitted, I've started to clean them up and they are coming on a treat.

No doubt I'll have further questions.

Many thanks,

Paul

Hi

I have a Cycling Mag from 1978 when the Corsair made it's debut along with the pro-am........Carlton called it a Demi-Course :)

I'll have a look later.....

Cheers

Shaun

PS is it brown / champagne metallic

Had a quick look, the frame is 531 main tubes (so no forks and stays), the advert just says the handlebars are alloy with a flush fitting alloy handlebar stem. Bocama Logs and Vagner fork crown. There is a brochure on them on the internet somewhere....Bulger rings a bell for the name of the site.

Shaun

Had a good look at the handlebars tonight and there is no markings to mention of just pure chrome which have cleaned up nicely.

I don't think it has been touched for years but I did not those Sun Tour Power Shifters work a treat.

Washed and polished the framedown. Generally not in bad shape but the decals have had a battering over the years. Quite like the chocolate Raleigh RSW16 brown!

The Atom pedals are marvelous but the Christophe toes clips are quite corroded.

I concour Robbied, your Corsair is a minter. Your photo's are most welcome and something for me to aim out.

Noticed the hubs are Normandy with lovely large flange to the front wheel. Bit worried that the spokes will go pop though.

On the shopping list:

Two straddle wires
Two amber wall tyres
New inner brake cables
Bar tape.

Hope to re-grease bottom bracket and clean chain set up over the weekend and re-grease bearings in the front and rear hubs.

H LLoyd in Penrith might have the Decals if your's are completely trashed.

I think the colour was Burnt Bronze but at the time they had a colour code RMM116 CF** where the star was a double digit and two colour names could have the same code.

Launched in Harrogate along with the Pro-Am which was it's racing stablemate.

Carlton's always rode well :)

You will love it :D

Shaun

Back