Campagnolo 1052/1, Record How rare are these front mechs?

Re: Campagnolo 1052/1, Record How rare are these front mechs

Excel

Thanks for the link to Kevin Sayles article........not seen that before :) even though he made my Jackson LOL

Must dig out my 4 hole front mech and see if it matches his picture.

Cheers

Shaun

Excel, If I read the timeline on your link correctly then the cable stop ended in 1967?

lewisfoto":10lh6917 said:
Excel, If I read the timeline on your link correctly then the cable stop ended in 1967?

if memory serves me correct in 1967 Campagnolo had a major reshuffle on its components and launched the lighter more versatile Nuovo Record groupset, one of the many components getting a facelift was the front mech. I understand that around this time as many new lightweight frames were being introduced with neater brazed on upper/lower bottom bracket cable guides the need for the long cable stop was superfluous to requirements (plus being a gram or two heavier!) so in 1967 the manufacture of the 3rd/3A generation 1052/1's were the last of the early 1960's style

I think (though its difficult to be sure as I don't have all of the catalogues) that Campag used the same reference, 1052, from the introduction of the Record derailleur until they changed the numbering system in about 1983(see pic which is from the 1982 catalogue). So 1052 could refer to the Record, Nuovo Record and Super Record models, the /1, /2 is a Velobase addition I think.
The different versions are usually referred to by their description - 'no-lip', 'with lip', '4 hole', '3 hole' each of which was around for different periods. There were certainly other variations and some of the parts, but not all, are interchangeable. Super Record is easier to identify by the black anodizing.
The rarest seem to be the early 'no-lip' and intermediate 4 hole versions and the most common the '3 hole'.
As always with period stuff price is affected by rarity and condition. You do see some advertised for lots of money (£100 plus) but you should be able to get a good example for £30-50.
I hope this lengthy answer is helpful and if anyone can add anything that helps with the dates of the various models I would be most grateful!
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0002 (885x1280).jpg
    IMG_0002 (885x1280).jpg
    107 KB · Views: 401
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So whats the difference between that and 'NR with lip'?
Still confused..

hernehill69":1m07nxy2 said:
So whats the difference between that and 'NR with lip'?
Still confused..

....amazing how this thread has generated so much interest in a lowly front mech!! there was no real difference in the style and operation between SR and NR mechs other than minor cosmetics and logo design, the holes in the cage versions began with four holes in 1978 but changed to three holes in 1979 as the four holes cage sometimes caused the chain to jam on the upshift. The cage remained with three holes until end of production in 1987. The Campagnolo "no lip" flat cage Record introduced in 1960 was deemed and proven perfectly suitable in use for recreation and competition cycles but across the pond in 1977 the US Consumer Products Safety Commission helped mark the last year of production of the Campag "no lip" front derailleur because the CPSC thought that the flat cage could be a hazard therefore 1978 onwards the cage featured a small outward lip at the front, Campagnolo may not have been happy accepting the reason given but the US was a major market for them so no arguing......if this explanation seems a bit lengthy and anal then I apologise!

Back