Gios Torino Super Record

Contact Marco Gios (on Facebook), or send Gios a photo of the area where the numbers are, under the BB, and a photo of the back of the rear brake stay. They'll tell you which year it is.

Don't worry too much about the fork not being Gios, as over the years people have bought and sold Gios and many other frames without forks, or with other forks.

I bought my Torino frame with a Zeus fork in it, and ordered a real one from Gios in Turin.

It may well have been repainted once or twice over the years, but that's usual.

Enjoy. I'm with the first poster. Go all blue with the decal backing, or clear lacquer with the writing in white...authentic De Vlaeminck!

Siemenmoens":17dfvurd said:
Thanks,

So what is wrong with this bike? can i find out if this is a repaint?
so the fork does not match the frame?

There are two options:

1) repaint and the forks match the frame.
2) no repaint and de fork don't match the frame. A blue fork with coins in the top was mounted.

ok, thanks for the info.

But if i paint it correct, what is the exact correct paint scheme? and does my bb cutout match that paintscheme?

I also contacted Marco Gios, wainting for a reply.

yesterday i noticed some runst on the inside of the frame. i think in the seat stay, is there a solution for that? getting it out the frame? or fixing it in the frame?

yesterday i noticed some runst on the inside of the frame. i think in the seat stay, is there a solution for that? getting it out the frame? or fixing it in the frame?

Something rattling around inside the 'blind' tubes on a brazed steel frame- top-tube, seatstays, fork blades- can be a good sign. It's usually a blob of brazing material, and indicates that the brazer fed enough of it into the joint for it to flow out the other end.

Might be an idea to gently 'probe' the rusty areas of the tubes/stays with a metal point- a sewing-needle would do. Obviously it's bad news if the needle goes through the tube anywhere, and good news if it doesn't.

I'm no authority on Gios, I don't know if there's a discrepancy between forks and frame, but IMO, aesthetically, if a Gios has lost that fork with the coins embedded in the crown, and gained a Gios fork without them, so much the better.

Regarding the "possible" missmatch of fork and frame:
Maybe it's an " in between" Modell? I've Seen Professional-Frames with GT cutouts in the bottom bracket stated to be true. Maybe this GT is an 79 model with an overstock fork from 78. Or one of the Last 78 ones with a new BB? Lets wait for Marcos statement ;)

Marco's Reply:

10:29am
Marco Gios
hi... It looks beautiful but a little Rusty...
yes the chrome fork is not completely correct with that kind of frame, but i have seen many of these combination. It is possible thet a frame from 1979 0r 1980 was mounted with a 1978 fork.
So what kind of help do you need? we could repaint and rechrome but I don't know if you know our situation... we can operate only in italy so you have to come here to pick up the frame when is ready...
Let me know if you need other kind of help
Regards
Marco

Back