6 speed Uniglide to 7 speed Hyperglide?

Thank you.

Taken the wheel to LBS to undo the cog (if he can!) and freehub body.

If successful onto the next stage, or I'll be look for more hubs/wheels.....

Update - LBS got the cogs apart and now the freehub is off I'm ready to get a Hyperglide one ( I had got the freehub off myself with an Allen key, but he only charged £6).

Any comments on they way forward to get a new freehub;

1- NOS Ultegra 6401 freehub on it's own
Or
2 - NOS RX 100 complete hub which I can take apart, getting new axle, bearings as well.

Price is the same either way. Do I get much less quality wise with option 2??

I bought a pair of new hubs (Exage level) on eBay. I forgot that getting the free hub body off was not going to be easy as they were not in a wheel! I had to clamp it in vice, so there is only a useable front hub now.....Anyway I have the new body on and the old cones seem to fit so I jut need to adjust the number of washers each side to centre it in the frame.

Just for information, there's been a flood of NOS Uniglide kit on eBay 'buy it now' in the last week including lots of cogs and rear hubs. I picked up a NOS hub for the freehub body and an 8-speed set of Uniglide cogs to make up a new 6-speed cassette using my existing spacers. Worth a look if anyone needs anything.

Some useful UG information: 6-7 speed UG freehubs are the same width, cogs are all the same thickness throughout the range and it's the spacers that set the gear spacing and total cassette width. Later Hyperglide gears can be used if you file down one of the splines.

Back