Mavic 517 rims......

I thought the 5 series were right up there in terms of strength etc with the only difference between the 517, 519 and the 521 being the width.

That makes sense.......the same is true for the 231/261 rims of the early 90's, with which I'm more familiar......

They look the part, eyeleted, and seem light and strong.....am I right in thinking they are dated to the late 90's?

Rampage":fhkhvnjk said:
Yep very good rims.
Occasionally they crack around the eyelets.

Thanks chaps.....they are in the que for a belt and braces strip and clean so will get to have a good look at them then..... :D

I've riden my ceramics since 1998, and mostly as my only st of wheels, so did commute, touring and XC duties combined.....

Confirm the cracks to watch out for. An early warning is a sort of pulsing through the brakes and uneven wear patterns on the rim surface. As the rim starts to weaken, it seems like it deforms ever so slightly, adjacent to where it will eventually crack at the eyelet hole

G

They became the 717 I think so top drawer from Mavic. I have pair of 28H ones here waiting to go on some 28H M950 hubs I have ordered :)

Back