daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
What a day !! :cool:

Quick summary

Really pleasing turnout for the last round of the road series in the Cotswolds , we had a total of 7 dedicated souls still keen to ride despite the weather forecast.

In true retrobike fashion the early birds flocked in with various projects that needed doing to their steeds, worst being the Mr Ededwards having to wrap bars on his arrival!

We set off on time and out into the wilderness and what came to light immediately was the wind :shock: heading out of stow normally consists of a nice fast decent down into lower swell but as Bobinnogs said "I checked my tyres thinking I had a flat" the head wind was like a brake :shock:

The route over to winchcombe was pretty harmless out of the wind and still no rain everyone was digging in and only bugloss a little disappointed that the rain hadn't given his new rapha jacket a workout :LOL:

Then came the first shocker of the ride ....the decent of doom down into winchcombe .....wet ...steep ...mud and leaves ...really was a horror show , I only made it by mirroring eds trick moves :cool:

After the horror came the first cat climb of the day , stanway is its name a nice long not to steep but gradual climb. On a nice sunny day the scenery and views are stunning .... Today it was hurdle that needed dealing with !

While muttering away regarding the weather john quite rightly indicated it could be worse ...could be proper rain..... :facepalm: that's when we were hit by the monsoon.

The driving rain and wind soaked me straight to the bone just before we hit the legendary Dover hill .... Looking up the road while making the accent at everyone through therain was pretty epic to say the least :shock:

We plodded on like drown rats to campden for warmth and coffee , things turned a little weird in the coffee shop and I am left with the worries of the welfare of the Herefordshire of moles :shock:.

Out of the coffee shop was bit of a shocker the wet clothes then getting cut in half with the cold wind which was starting to get blustery and stronger by the min!

Now on a normal summers day the climb out of campden to broadway tower is a nice affair not to steep cracking views etc etc. this in my eyes was the worst of the day ... The rain had stopped but the long exposed hillside with the howling wind was BRUTAL ...so brutal it was just head down and keep pedalling... I could hear shouting from behind and hadn't noticed I was still in the big ring with a crossover from hell ....bang my mech flew up and hit the frame thankfully the shouting alerted me enough to stop pedalling just in time and no damage and carried on.

Once we hit the summit and dropped away we managed to avoid most of the wind as started heading back home only the last hurdle being the last climb back into stow which I think most people wizzed up just at the thought of being warm and dry.

And that was that really we finished with a nice sit down and chatter with homemade chilli and bread in the flanders room :cool:

Just want to thank everyone for coming despite the weathers best efforts it's was a cracking day out and hope the Cotswolds did enough to be back on the calendar for next year.

Riders attended

Ededwards
Bobinnogs
John
Bugloss
Drystonepaul
Tarloone
Daj

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 1,156
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,156
Re: National retrobike road series cotswold aftermath

Smashing day out Dave and many thanks for your and Clare's hospitality, the chilli was just the job when weary and damp.

The ride was pretty tough for me with the incessant headwind although my stomach in those photos explains why I struggled on the climbs - that second bowl of chilli was clearly as ill advised as it was unnecessary.

But did we ever discover what Paul had smeared on the inside of his windscreen? He blames a wet wipe but my money is on some reverse gulling.

Great day out, may thanks to Robin and Dave for organising. Fine route through the cotswolds made memorable by the weather, that climb up Dovers in the lashing rain was quite epic.

Thanks to Dave and Claire for the food pre ride, shame I couldn't stay for the apred ride chilli. Sure it would have been more relaxing to enjoy some food and listen to Ed's mole blood doping scheme rather than spend the rest of the afternoon at a kids party...

A great day, thanks to all for a memorable semi epic in character building conditions. Some great climbs and nice descents too.

Thanks to Dave and Clare...Post ride food was just the job!

Ah!, the wind and the rain made for an epic adventure on the undulating, bumpy and muddy byways of the Cotswolds. A truly pleasant day was had accompanied by equally pleasant companions, even if I didn't have a hope in hell of keeping up with the two whippets. Dovers was a breeze aided by the watercooling effect of raindrops like frozen peas.

Thanks for making the effort to arrange a great ride topped only by the magnificent and unexpected post ride spread put on by Claire, thank you Claire.

I think I was the only one glad for the wind and driving rain, which I found to be quite pleasant in my million pound jacket, buy one its guaranteed to make you poor :roll:

And special thanks to Ed for providing a convenient and effective mobile windbreak when things got a little blustery. ;)

Just looked at the Garmin did 49 mph dropping into that village , no wonder I nearly pooed myself when that lip in the road launched you out the saddle!! :shock: :shock:

Re: Retrobike National Road Series Rd 7: Cotswolds ~ AFTERMA

An unexpectedly tough day out in the end due to a soft rear tyre for the first few miles, heavy lashings of rain on the climbs and a strong cold headwind on the easy bits.

Great route though and a nice introduction to riding in the Cotswolds for me. When the sun came out in the afternoon and the rain blew over the distant hills, the views were pretty special. And that descent was brilliant.

Nice to welcome in some more riders to the small band of RetroRoadRiders too. Hopefully this will continue next year...

Thanks to Dave and Claire for the hospitality and chilli. Perfect way to warm up and relax after a crisp days pedal pushing.
Dave's disappointment when he measured up his new frame was something to behold. Thanks for the degreaser though, it sorted out my smeared windscreen perfectly. I don't think it's ever been so clean.

Time to put together a thorough winter training schedule if I'm ever to have a hope of keeping up with Bobinnogs and Tarloone.
Meh!

Do we have a speed for the drop into Winchcombe?

drystonepaul":2a5vf7lj said:
Nice to welcome in some more riders to the small band of RetroRoadRiders too. Hopefully this will continue next year...

I'm in if the rides are at the beginning of the month. I'll try to find more Rapha to test :LOL:

Can I have my badge now ?

Back