Carlton Contra La Montre

wherespaultoday

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone, i've been searching the net trying to find out a bit more about this model but am finding it a bit difficult. Does anyone have more information on it. Where did it sit in the Carlton range? Was it mid or high end? Were many made? Any catalogues from the early 70s with the spec?

This Classic machine belongs to a chap who is a Raleigh collector and found its way into his collection.
As i remember it is built with Campagnolo gears & chainset,Weinmann 500 brakes,GB bars/stem,Brooks saddle.Wheel set ?
Finished in the original factory coffee/ tabacco brown , half chrome forks & rear triangle.

It appears in the 1971 Carlton catalogue as a frame set only.
Built with 531 BD tubes Campagnolo Record ends,full wrap over seat stays, exlcusive light weight fork crown. All in all one of Carltons top frames.It is worth noting this racing had mudguard eyes.

If you have chance to find / acquire one,i would go for it.

I may already have one! It's from 1972 and the one in that picture you showed me is the closest i've seen to it in terms of lugs, wrap over seat stays and colour scheme.

Here's my original post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=274821

Spokesman thought it could be a Contra La Montre but wasn't sure. If it was the frame only it might explain why I can't find any bikes with matching components!

How can I work out if its Reynolds DB tubes? And how can you spot campag dropouts. Do they have campag written on them?

Carlton supplied a number of bare frames to build, in our shop we had Grand Prix, Clubman, Courette, Professional and an old track Flyer. :)

The Campag ends should have campagnolo stamped on them.

Shaun

wherespaultoday":k3xrcnvj said:
I may already have one! It's from 1972 and the one in that picture you showed me is the closest i've seen to it in terms of lugs, wrap over seat stays and colour scheme.

Here's my original post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=274821

Spokesman thought it could be a Contra La Montre but wasn't sure. If it was the frame only it might explain why I can't find any bikes with matching components!

How can I work out if its Reynolds DB tubes? And how can you spot campag dropouts. Do they have campag written on them?

Camapagnolo will be stamped on the drop outs .Seat post size should be 27.2 other than that i am not really sure.I am think some one sould be along soon on this forum and explain.

For more of my past and present Carltons look here.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/74418119@N ... 673051032/

Ahhhh Half Wheeled by Shuan....

Back