Ugly San Andreas

Do you have reach adjust on the brakes? Either you've got air in the lines, or they're adjusted way out.
Have a look, there should be some tiny allen holes somewhere you can adjust the reach with, see if it makes a difference. If not-time for a bleed!

I've got one of those shocks on my FSR, and they are fantastic-and very tuneable! You can use a standard pump and add air if it's feeling a bit wallowy.

Really glad I bought this bike now, I use it all the time and although it still has a few problems its been worth the money just for the use I've had so far.

I'm thinking of buying something a bit lighter and in slightly better condition now that I know I'll spend the hours riding one.
Right now there is a San Andreas on Ebay for £1000! Its got some nice parts but it does make me think I could maybe get a few quid for mine and put it towards a newer bike.

Osella":3al81t7y said:
Do you have reach adjust on the brakes? Either you've got air in the lines, or they're adjusted way out.
Have a look, there should be some tiny allen holes somewhere you can adjust the reach with, see if it makes a difference. If not-time for a bleed!

I've got one of those shocks on my FSR, and they are fantastic-and very tuneable! You can use a standard pump and add air if it's feeling a bit wallowy.

No reach adjust on the brakes. The rear brake is fine but the front is awful, it makes a lot of noise and doesn't do much stopping. I took it down a very steep rocky descent and it made me never want to do it again.

I will bleed it over winter, I have been thinking about buying a new front setup but I should bleed it first and see how that goes.

I think the shock must have had a service or an easy life because it feels and works well.

I really need to buy a new seat for this thing, it kills me after a long ride.

The bike is filthy again now that the weather is better :)
It makes the odd noise and I never did bleed the brakes over winter but it soaks up everything I throw at it with ease.

Bike is up for sale for a fair price but I don't care if I keep it. The more I ride it the more I like it, except for that bloody seat which is like sitting on a brick.

this san andreas looks great to me!

i'm building up one at the moment - pretty much the same vintage as yours. i haven't ridden it yet as i bought it without the swing arm and have had get a new old-stock one from the US. have you played around with the shock position yet? you can move it forward and lower the bottom bracket height - which apparently can bring it back to something more "normal" / "modern" - although they always planned it as a high bb bike....

i'm wondering if you could help me with my build? - i can't find any information about the sealed bearing unit in the main pivot. i've posted questions on lots of forums but not got any details back yet. i think we have the swing arm type (which seems to be the less common version) - ours doesn't have a pinch bolt on the side of the swing arm beside the main pivot - i think, looking at your pics? so i think the bearings will be press fit ones, but i need a code that tells me the size of the bearings unit. next time you take your swing arm off for a service, or if its easy to do without taking the whole thing apart (!) could you look at the bearing unit on yours and pass on any code etc written on it?

big thanks! - hope you continue to enjoy riding it....

summerwastin":1ku95emj said:
this san andreas looks great to me!

Thanks, its a bit rough but its meant to be and it gets used.

I saw your thread, always good to have another San An out there.
I wish I could help you with the build but I'm very new the whole bike scene.

I have not messed with the shock settings, I don't think it was set up too bad.
It's my first DH bike, I've been very happy with the suspension setup its the seat that is killing me.

Did you download a manual for the bike? I found one online for free that might help. http://www.mountaincycle.com/downloads/2005.pdf

Good luck with the build be sure to post some pictures.

Looks like the rear shock has had enough, it now sags and makes a strange sound.

I'm going to remove it and have it rebuilt with new parts.

Re:

Looks fine to me :)

You said the brakes were Promax hydraulic disc brakes? to be fair they're the budget end of brakes but should still work ok.
Don't confuse a "soft" feeling lever with the brakes being no good, often a soft feel at the lever means you have good modulation (control) over the braking force, instead of the lever feeling "hard" ie the brakes are either on/off.
My Hope brakes have a very soft feel at the lever, and yet pull the lever a bit further and you have loads of stopping power.
...of course a soft feeling and not much power could also be air in the system/need bleeding.
If your front? brake is noisy and not very powerful it may just be that there's contaminent on the disc or pads (oil, chainlube, greasy fingers etc), it's easy enough to clean it up.

Re: Re:

jimo746":2yrglt38 said:
Looks fine to me :)

You said the brakes were Promax hydraulic disc brakes? to be fair they're the budget end of brakes but should still work ok.
Don't confuse a "soft" feeling lever with the brakes being no good, often a soft feel at the lever means you have good modulation (control) over the braking force, instead of the lever feeling "hard" ie the brakes are either on/off.

The brakes are working fine now :)
I don't know what the problem was, maybe just the new pads needed bedding in.

I've decided I'll probably throw some money at it and fix all the other stuff I don't like.
The rear shock is going in for a rebuild next week and I really need to sort the seat situation out, it feels and sounds terrible.
I may replace the drivetrain too and then I'd say its done apart from the cosmetic stuff, it can stay ugly for me though.

Back