Maximum tyre width for early to mid 90's clockwork?

henristig

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Ok, so winter is coming and I'm looking to beef up the rubber on my 94 clockwork, but there doesn't seem to be much space between the chainstays... so without having to resort to the tape measure I'd like to ask you guys what's the widest tyre you've comfortably fitted to your clockworks??

Cheers!

I've never ran anything above a 2.1, but if the bike is on original rigid forks I'd imagine they would be the limiting factor....mine don't give much space with a 2.1 square shouldered smoke fitted.....

Got some fat deep carcass Continental Race King 2.2s on my early 90's Clockwork, with clearance varying between about 4 & 10mm within the rear wishbone. Before that, had some big fat WTB 2.2 Prowlers on. Before that, had the old Smoke & Dart on. The Race King 2.2s are very fast and fantastic in generally dry weather. Their volume kind of does away with the need for suspension. Now we're into damp autumn conditions, the Race Kings are slithering around on corners, so I'm having to ease off the gas. Am now looking for some suitable tyres for the damp and winter riding...

Attachments

• racekings22rearstays.jpg
    racekings22rearstays.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 447
  • racekings22rearwish.jpg
    racekings22rearwish.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 447
Fantastic! Thanks for the replies guys! Especially appreciate the pictures.I guess I'll start hunting for some 2.1's with big grooves then.

The new issue amber wall 2.1 Panaracer Smoke measures 46mm wide on a Mavic 231 rim. So not really a 2.1 by today's standard but pretty good in winter goo.

henristig":1oepzz7v said:
Fantastic! Thanks for the replies guys! Especially appreciate the pictures.I guess I'll start hunting for some 2.1's with big grooves then.

Thanks. The Race King 2.2 is about 54mm wide. I've included another pic to also show the depth of the Conti's carcass – from the outer edge of the rim, the visible depth of the carcass is about 49mm. The Race Kings are very good in dry conditions but slither on damp slippy surfaces. A lot of today's tyres are much much fatter, so it can be tricky getting something to fit an old frame...

Attachments

• raceking22rearside.JPG
    raceking22rearside.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 409
Jon Smith":18mjkp66 said:
The new issue amber wall 2.1 Panaracer Smoke measures 46mm wide on a Mavic 231 rim. So not really a 2.1 by today's standard but pretty good in winter goo.

Wow – where did you get these and are the Darts available?

Wow – where did you get these and are the Darts available?[/quote]

I got a little carried away by the Retro Bug and had to order the minimum run :facepalm:

I do have plenty of Smokes but no Darts. I was never a fan of Darts and used Smoke front and back BITD.

Due to the over estimation in the need for these tyres :oops: I've decided to try and build my collection to use up my tyre mountain :D

Jon Smith":1j1qehio said:
Wow – where did you get these and are the Darts available?

I got a little carried away by the Retro Bug and had to order the minimum run :facepalm:

I do have plenty of Smokes but no Darts. I was never a fan of Darts and used Smoke front and back BITD.

Due to the over estimation in the need for these tyres :oops: I've decided to try and build my collection to use up my tyre mountain :D[/quote]

Just how many did you have to order?

Just how many did you have to order?[/quote]

A lot. It's a good job I run them front and rear, as I've just got to find another 90 or so bikes to fit them too, to use them up :shock:

Back