Dekerf fork upgrade

Pogo

Retrobike Rider
Im currently running Marzzochi Z2 forks on my Dekerf Mountain and want to improve performance and decrease weight. Without upsetting the geometry what's the longest travel and best upgrade forks out there?

I guess your Z2s are 65mm travel, 430-435mm a-c?
Are you happy with the way the bike handles with them?
Do you want to stick with old forks or go modern? Most modern forks can have the travel reduced by fitting spacers and are are more worthy of the frame, being lighter and stiffer than 20th century efforts, with better damping too.

The Z2's are approximately 430mm a-c.

I'm ok with their performance but if I can get better as well as lighter I've got no problem going modern- if it keeps me somewhere in the game it's got to be the way to go. A set of forks with the ability to run Vee's and at a later date disks would be a plus.

One thing I don't understand about putting spacers in modern forks, doesn't that just reduce the internal travel but keep the overly long external length of modern forks- which is going to throw out my geometry?

Ultimately I am looking for lighter forks, performance at least equal to my z2's but without throwing away the handling of the bike. Is it possible?

Pogo":27tqen93 said:
The Z2's are approximately 430mm a-c.

I'm ok with their performance but if I can get better as well as lighter I've got no problem going modern- if it keeps me somewhere in the game it's got to be the way to go. A set of forks with the ability to run Vee's and at a later date disks would be a plus.

One thing I don't understand about putting spacers in modern forks, doesn't that just reduce the internal travel but keep the overly long external length of modern forks- which is going to throw out my geometry?

Ultimately I am looking for lighter forks, performance at least equal to my z2's but without throwing away the handling of the bike. Is it possible?
The Z2s are probably the best 20th century forks but you can do a lot better!
Rock Shox Rebas are brilliant forks, not quite as light as SIDS but MUCH stiffer. They go where you point them! Magura Durins are excellent too but not as user serviceable as Rebas. Both were available with canti studs and all have disc mounts. There are loads of Rebas around and all can be shortened to 80mm or even 70, 60 etc.
Spacers don't just shorten the travel; it's tricky to explain but I'' try...
The air piston travels up and down the inside of the stanchion, compressing air at the top and itself being forced down by air pressure. To stop it blowing straight out of the bottom there is a circlip at the botto,m of the stanchion. Under full extension, the piston shaft buts up against the circlip and can't go lower. The travel reduction spacer is fitted between the circlip and piston assembly , stopping the fork extending quite so much and effectively reducing the travel, reducing a-c height and keeping your bike handling sweetly!
Rock Shox are really user friendly,with guides and videos of just about everything on the SRAM website, and all the parts you'll ever need available to buy.
Avoid Fox though- they're shit.

I hope that makes sense; I'm having a bad day! :evil:
FWIW, I've always found that a slightly longer fork than recommended is a positive bonus on Dekerfs. It helps with the descending stability but doesn't really affect the nimbleness.

It might be green and abused (did Kermit visit the BBC?) but I'd love to see a picture or two...

Reba's are a good choice and I even have a set that would probably go straight on! ;)

Thanks Reuben for a really helpful and informative explanation, it's much appreciated.

Ringo, can you PM me details of those Rebas?
Ta.

And photo as requested-

E188CE96-0CDB-4143-8DBF-EEE9CF28FDF2-3930-00000845DD8A29A9_zpsce642200.jpg

Great Pic!

Sorry for the late reply... these are the Reba's. As you can see they are currently on my ST. Head tube is 100mm and with the stem and spacer height the steerer is plenty long enough.

Forks are like new and also have the lockout kit, brand new and never fitted. They can run V's but you'd need to find some studs..

Suburbanruben's description on travel reduction is spot on. Fox can be shortened in the same manner, F100mm = 470mm, add a 20mm spacer and you get 80mm travel and 450mm a-c. Fox forks get bad rap because lubrication on the air side is not optimal. If you follow the service instructions to the letter you'll be ok. Many owners put more fluid in the air side to give more to splash about and keep the seals lubed.

SP

Back