Kona Kilauea 1993 - thoughts

costarinho

Retro Guru
Just picked up a Kona Kilauea from 1993, 19" frame all original apart from saddle and grips. Even the tyres are still the A:Drive B:Drive originals. It's had the addition of a Gist Dinamic saddle, Richey lock on grips and some X-Lite bar ends. Almost time warped, no rust and some minor cable rub and chips. That said some muppet has had a Crud Catcher on the down tube which has slightly worn the decals. I've not ridden it yet but kinda too scared to! I don't want to ruin it! That said I don't really know what it's worth so if anyone could advise me of a guide to its value I may not mind getting a few scuffs etc. some pics on to show you.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1,120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 1,122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1,119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1,120
Nice score, :cool: The early 90's was a classic period for MTB's, I'm rarely excited about anything from the late 80's :oops: and post 96/97 they leave me cold.

Personally I've never owned or for that matter ridden a Kona but always though they looked great and there's plenty of love for them on here so I'm sure you'll get more comments from far better informed members than me.

As for being to scared to ride it, don't be its a great looking rig but its not a long lost "unicorn" you've stumbled upon.

You might benifit from fitting some newer rubber and saving those tyres, they're mostly certainly not a supple as they used to be, and it would be a shame to kill them off.

I guess since its almost catalogue spec you have little plans to change anything aside from fitting some pedals ?

Post some picture of it out and about and a little muddy :D

Spud™©

Well it was worth about £250 since that was the BIN and I'm assuming you hit the trigger!

Have you bought it to ride it or sell it? If it's former then get going and enjoy. She'll be agile and eager to climb.

I'm not looking to sell to be honest. Just because the bin was £250, nowt like a bit of Yorkshire haggling to get the price down ;) very happy with the bike, sometimes these things look better in the pics than in person but I was more than happy when I turned up to get this.
Cheers for the thoughts on the tyres, hadn't even crossed my mind!

Just taken the bar ends off and shifted evertything along, I felt a little hemmed in with them on there. However kinda wishing I'd left it alone ad the thread on the right XT shifter went when being undone!!! Its now in need of rethreading, has anyone done this before and is it easy enough with a helicoil or something?

Love the 93 fades :cool: I think a black LX is a bit cheap for a Kila' and silver seems to suit it better IMHO

You're maybe right. I got the black seatpost and it looks pretty poor to be fair so I'll keep it for another bike and shove the original back on. Keeping my eyes peeled for a set of '93ish XT crank arms instead of the LX. I got a XT m770-10 crank for my Cube last week for £5, so I'll stay hopeful for another bargain.

Cool! The '93 Konas are all great looking bikes and the Kilauea was always my favourite. Yours is indeed one of the nicest I've seen for a while,most tend to have been shedded and are missing most of their original parts.

I would personally keep the Sugino chainset to be honest unless there's a problem with it, they're just as well made and lighter than XT plus they're rare to find these days. And trim that front brake cable ;)

Aye aye sir! Cable is now cut and bar ends are off. I've bought a 97 Xt crank for £15 so I may just leave it as a spare. Been out on it a few times now and really liking it. The cantis took some getting used to!! Crossed a few roads inadvertently at the start!! Missed out on some xtr cantis on eBay tonight but I've balanced and adjusted these, they don't stop on a pin but they are a damn sight better now!

Latest posts

Back