Highpath Hi-Lite off-road bicycle for sale

I would of loved to see what sort of bikes,they would be building today, had they never gone from the industry,they for sure would have had a loyal following,and am certain something new in the mtb world.

JabberingJimbo":yx8d2s94 said:
I'm sure D-W-S will be chuckling over a cuppa with the fighting going on about one of his bikes, he never followed a trend or fashion, he just built what HE thought to be the best he could with what was available.

Hi to Geoff and Graham, been many, many years since we last met, like 20+ !

Nastro62, Check the spoke length inside the rim before you put the tape on as I spend many summers sat in his garden rethreading hundreds of spokes to fit the 'odd' rims as various lengths were not so common back then. The silly things we do as kids, re threading spokes! at least I learnt how to build wheels by the end of it :)

Most of the other concerns, like the BB axle, can be fixed for sure, these bikes were built with basic mills, lathes or hand tools with the odd machine shop part, and lots of skill & imagination...

Even I'm laughing at the new trend of 29's and now 27.5!!! Maybe D-W-S was right ;)

Hi James, good to hear from you after all these years, I will tell Geoff that you're here.
D W-S isn't on RetroBike but I will mention you to him when I next phone him.
I have some old photos of you riding 20" wheeled trials bikes. Must dig them out.

Regards,
Graham.

Billybob2":212mvect said:
I would of loved to see what sort of bikes,they would be building today, had they never gone from the industry,they for sure would have had a loyal following,and am certain something new in the mtb world.

Don't know what he's building at the moment, but in 2004 he built this:

Complex for sure, but probably the most comfortable ride of any bicycle ever made. A softly sprung long travel suspension system but without the transmission and braking issues you might expect.

Attachments

• 2004 TopTrail.jpg
    2004 TopTrail.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 226
GrahamJohnWallace":12onf8cp said:
Billybob2":12onf8cp said:

Don't know what he's building at the moment, but in 2004 he built this:

Complex for sure, but probably the most comfortable ride of any bicycle ever made. A softly sprung long travel suspension system but without the transmission and braking issues you might expect.

The lower coupling mechanism for the front end reminds me of my Pedersen !
Not a picture of my own Pedersen, but just to show what I'm on about.
I need to lose a lot of weight before I could successfully ride my Pedersen, either that or source some heavy duty springs for the saddle to frame connection. ;-)
I hope Chris Bell doesn't mind me sharing this. When I recently made an enquiry to Highpath for info on the BB, he said that Dave stopped making anything several years ago.

Attachments

• ped03a.jpg
    ped03a.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 197
nastro62":vt4h1krt said:
I hope Chris Bell doesn't mind me sharing this. When I recently made an enquiry to Highpath for info on the BB, he said that Dave stopped making anything several years ago.

Officially Dave has retired. If he does build things these days it is for himself. About 18 months ago, the bottom bracket axle on my 1988 Highpath snapped. Dave did offer to do some simple but high precision turning for me, but he never got around to it. In the end I worked out a way of turning part the part myself. I still have the jig if anyone ever wants to fit a Phil Woods' bottom bracket cartridge into a Highpath shell.

Its an interesting bike for sure but I still, in best internet style, maintain that a bit of a buff up before the sale would have got a better price.

GrahamJohnWallace":33r7p8c1 said:
nastro62":33r7p8c1 said:

Officially Dave has retired. If he does build things these days it is for himself. About 18 months ago, the bottom bracket axle on my 1988 Highpath snapped. Dave did offer to do some simple but high precision turning for me, but he never got around to it. In the end I worked out a way of turning part the part myself. I still have the jig if anyone ever wants to fit a Phil Woods' bottom bracket cartridge into a Highpath shell.
Thanks for that Graham. It's the only thing I fear breaking on the Highpath, not that I've ever broken a BB axle ever before.
I'm reminded of a story.
My tourer started off life as a 120MM OLN rear end. I fancied changing to 130MM and taking some of the dish out of the wheel, and continuing to use the same 5 speed block it started off with in the early 80's. (Campag record hub on Mavic G40).
I had successfully toured with full camping gear and no problems with the wheel.
A good friend asked me if I'd had any problems with the wheel, I answered "No, but I want to have less problems". That's my mentality. I like overkill, and always like to have a backup plan.

Back