Aaargh!...Cracks

saulus

GT Fan
Feedback
View
I was digging about in my spares box for things to sell.. I bought this Stem for a build a few months ago but never fitted it:

:shock:eek:n close inspection before advertising it, I see the cracks around the bolt holes (4 of them) I won't be selling that then!! That's £20 down the gurgler. At least we are all safe.

Anyone else done this?

Hi Saul,

I remember selling this stem for you. Could you just send me pics of both sides of the stem & we'll work this out.

SRAM X-Rays, Two sets (clear on smoke)
Both fine when I bought them as far as I could remember.
Left them in a box for a few month for a build, came to use them and cracks all over one set the other set just starting to go.

Sold an XT mech on eBay.
While waiting for my wife to give birth, I was on here reading threads as there was nothing else to do(!)
Saw a thread asking if a front mech looked like it had a cracked cage, looked at the pictures and didn't think it did but every else that had replied saying it did, so I didn't post.
Couple of hours later I got an email saying a mech I sold was cracked. Then put two and two together and realised the thread was about my mech!
Refunded him and he was very nice about it.

I won't mention who it was, but I'm sure he'll read this :p

Sold a Dave Yates Diablo frame, which had had a massive repair, I hadn't noticed.

To this day I still don't know how I missed it.

All resolved amicably, but very :facepalm:

Seen stacks of 'over tightened' parts on modern bikes!
Thats why many parts have the tightening force advice
etched into them to stop this and to use a mini torque wrench.

Well....sort of. Saw a Wanted advert on a local site requesting for a retro Ti frame. Thought, ah sell on the Parkpre Pro Elite so replied and the guy was super interested and paid in full straight away. Got a large box for posting, stripped the bike down and then cleaned the frame ready for packing. Noticed cracks in both chainstays at the BB junction. Of course I was apologetic, and gave a full refund as I did not want to sell it in that condition.

The frame then got used for unscientific destructive testing and went in the bin.

Ian Raleigh":7gy2e46h said:

Another essential tool for the ham fisted such as me?

The History Man":gsiipj6r said:
Ian Raleigh":gsiipj6r said:

Another essential tool for the ham fisted such as me?

Especially the modern carbon stuff......I have an s-works road bike, and wouldn't go near it without a torque wrench for fear of the dreaded noise of something cracking......

The stem in question is a early Azonic which has a bit different clamp design than on later ones. Have a look at this (not mine but good pics): http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1057019348
On the later ones the clamp bolts aren't that close to the clamp edge, probably for a reason. I remember on this particular stem there was an L-shaped line on every corner on the side of the clamp so they didn't catch my attention because they were so "similar" and the L-shape was somehow "industrial" looking :oops: .

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back