One for the Singlespeeders

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Just bought some tasty Paul 'Love' hubbed wheels and am looking to get a freewheel. Immediate choice was White Industries, but I see on Tartybikes there are quite a few alternatives.
I'm going to be running these with White Industries Eno Cranks on quite a short BB, 107mm if it fits.
How can I be sure what I buy will give the correct chainline?
Bit of an oblique question, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Carl

Oopps, I meant Pauls Word Singlespeed wheels.
Anyway, I have done a little research.
The Eno Cranks offer a 47.5 chainline with a 113mm BB.
The Word Hubs offer a 51.5mm chainline.
I currently have a 107mm BB.
Now, correct me if I am being thick, does this mean I need a 121mm BB?
Would any freewheel then give me the correct chainline?
Where could I get a decent 68mm Shell with 121/2 Axle width BB? Square taper. Want something a bit more decent than UN54.
Cheers, Carl

Incompatible ;) Get yourself some Pauls cranks and sell the ENO's to me! ;) (I am looking for some actually...)

121 is right. The Pauls are freewheel specific so as I understand it the only place you can adjust is at the bb.

I think that whatever freewheel you fit it will always be in the same position on the hub.

:)

Thanks Steve, thought it looked sort of OK.
Now I had better look for a BB. Light, strong and no doubt expensive.
BTW, got my Eno cranks from the States, still worked out cheaper despite being hit with tax :(
Carl

Had me a little confused initially, I was adding the 4 mm on one side only and coming out with 117mm. That would look a little silly! :LOL:

Where was the best place for the ENO's Carl and how much could I expect to pay in tax? (A varying thing I know!)

Cheers
Steve

Got mine from this fella
http://cgi.ebay.com/Serious-Single-Spee ... dZViewItem
I think he can get stuff even if not currently offering things for sale
Cost me £97 shipped, but got hit with £20-odd for VAT.
Thats inc.ring of your choice...green no longer available.

Any idea who's the best to go for the BB's?

Carl

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Harry - I would stick with a good old Un71/2/3 - nothing comes close for reliability, weight and price in an all in one package.

Sure Royce or Phil BB's are a few grammes lighter but cost a fortune and I don't believe anything is truly as fit and forget as Shimano's greatest ever BB.

In addition with a UN71/72 you can do a simple mod that gives you an adjustable BB - see here:

http://house-of-yes.com/phil-wood-y-bottom-bracket/

Quite often with these chainline issues you just need to do the build and then play around with it - trying spacers etc.

SS specific hubs look great but unless you are willing to shell out big bucks for a WI freewheel then even the most basic Shimano compatible freehub is generally much more reliable/stronger and certainly easier to perfect chainline with.

I certainly have no quibbles with Shimano bb's, I do a few thousand off-road miles per year in all weather and get about one years usage out of one. In fact I've been waiting for the UN73 in the ss to wear out so I can use the PW bb that I bought last year! I've just recently bought a Royce bb so I'll be testing that out in the future.

I thought that Shimano square taper were only available in UN54 now?

Latest posts

Back