Velo Aficionado Article on my '92 Zaskar

Lovely bike. Thanks for sharing the article. Its funny for a northerner like me to think of someone shredding singletrack in the tropics. :D

indeed! yes, here is a photo from a ride way back in the day, 92 or so, gadjarra up in the mountains behind cairns above the goldsbrough valley. stunning part of the world. me with red visor, behind fella with black helmet.

023227a1af3445172aefa5f7739b9943_zps97fded11.jpg

OK. So this is a really cool story. Graeme Allbon found the little story on Velo Aficionado about my Zaskar. G actually raced for GT USA in the early 90's in USA and also Australia. He helped develop the Zaskar, Psyclone and Xizang along with others (ie Hans Rey). He said he had some old race stuff he wanted to give me. So today, this simply amazing box of stuff arrived on my door! We have had some great conversations also about his time racing. An Australian MTB pioneer who perhaps many of us...had no knowledge! Thanks Graeme for your generosity, and also Rob for the time to write and photograph the story.

For those interested, yes, a couple of titanium cook bros bottom brackets there, onza rings, cook bros chainring spacers, the dust boots from XT brake levers, amazing stickers and decals, particularly the cook bros and powerbar stuff, one of G's race jerseys, iron-on cook bros and power bar logos they would have used for race kit and an almighty big race banner

f67b6ab56944348249f1a5ebe7e1da76_zpsbb118757.jpg

62572a087ae31bf0b2ff2b2d31b44ae9_zpsd1aa5247.jpg

Thank you for story and pics! :D

How cool, that you met up with a former team-rider who also helped develope all those special GT frames!

One thing: the decals on your Zaskar are 1991-style. Are they original? Also, I noticed, that there is a "BLEM" imprint on your dropout.

indeed! yes my frame is a 92 build, i actually drew those top tube decals myself, and had them made by a sticker company, as well as the triple triangle ones on the seat stays. i prefer those 91 decals to the 92 which is why i have them on there. yes, its a blem frame, for blemish. i suspect its to do with the bits of rough weld around the head tube junctions. i don't know what GT actually did with blem frames back in the day, whether they sold them at a discount or not

Back