Ceramic or not?

WD Pro":1e6rey6r said:
shutter":1e6rey6r said:
mattr":1e6rey6r said:
Doesn't matter if you do or don't.
One tip i got from a mavic tech (years and years ago) was to wear out a couple of sets of non ceramic pads on the rim first, before going to ceramic pads.

Hmmm interesting, thanks for the tip!

I had it in my head that was the other way around ... ? :? :LOL:

Ceramic (hard) pads first as the rims are initially very rough / abrasive and the pads don’t get destroyed to quickly.

Standard pads OK once on the smoother surface.

Anyone else ? :LOL:

WD :D
It was a long time ago. But IIRC he said that it was as the soft pads hold more s**t against the rim and take off the roughness, yes they get eaten *very* quickly, but once you've killed a couple, all will be well.
The hard pads just gave relatively poor braking until the roughness is taken off, as the hard pads don't get filled up with grime and ick so readily.

(BTW, i never actually bought the wheels i was looking at, far far too expensive for what they were. Stuck with normal rims and replaced them yearly!)

I use the ceramic specfic grey magura pads on my ceramics, they just work. I think the main concern is unlikely situation of the wrong pads damaging the coating, who cares about brake block wear? I certainly wouldn't use pads on ceramics that have previously been used on normal rims.

Ceramic pads are more rigid than normal pads, you can't bend them much, but normal ones bend much more.

shutter":feqhjguc said:
ishaw":feqhjguc said:
Shimano pads have ceramic written on the back I believe.

Thanks! Ill check mine out

Yes indeed they do have Ceramic written on the back in white. Can't miss it - they are also rather hard and brittle.
If nothing is written, then they are for Alloy.

Thanks, mine are non-ceramic... I do have a set of Brand new model Deore V brakes... can I take the cartridge holders out of them and swap in XTR ceramic inserts? wasn't sure how compatible they are?

If not, what can anyone suggest?

The bike will have Control Tech V brakes in red... so I'd like black pads and holders... suggestions?

I like the basic look of the Kool Stop Eagle II but do not care for green...

thanks!

I have decided to run kool stop salmon on my ceramics (same wheels as yours but a model year differance), maybe the colour would suit your brakes ?

DSC08455_zps5736bbe8.jpg

WD :D

Back