raleigh mustang

think it's good to see the rides most of us actually owned back in the day not just the ones we dreamed of.

:D

sorry to bring this beast back the top of the list, but i forgot to post a picture of it finished. i had the frame powder coated black in the autumn while my ducati frame was being done, and have had it built up for quite a while now. shes been up the woods, its a good bike to have fun on, the brakes are rubbish and the suspension doesnt seem to work very well but it is fun. especially if there are other knobs riding with. winky. anyhoo, looks good with the pit bike bars, and more importantly rides better in the more upright position too.

Attachments

• kiddy 0030.jpg
    kiddy 0030.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,786
need to get some clip of purple lightning disc's for the rear wheel, just like a mate of mine had on his one identical to this

haha fantastic work! Good old Raleighs. We all had them starting out, us young whippersnappers had either a Lizard, Mustang or an ropey BSO from the Gratton catalogue. I will always remember my mate Jay on his lizard at the local BMX track, going over the camel humps and the forks snapping mid jump, how we laughed. I'd love an old clunker just for the memories, perhaps a 1989 Emmelle or a Claude Butler.

Nice work! I have similar plans for an old Iron Horse Metropolis that proudly wears the badges 'Hi Ten Steel' and 'Made in Taiwan'.

aha, brilliant, only just read what you've done. fab. i think since posting on this thread I bought a black/white NOS frame, and almost vowed not to build it! brought it home from my expired secret location and its the heaviest frame ever! like 8 lbs of straight gauge gas pipe perfection. wow. but I have happyish ATB memories I actually took one of mine offroad BITD complete with full mudguards and panier rack and Eveready light brackets.

Anyway dirty thoughts have been similar to what you've done, but all I have now is the damn frame, no forks. Suppose 26" BMX Cruiser forks would go in and BMX forks, by this time I've already spent too much :D will post up if I do would like to experience ATB cruiser nostalgia again... :)

Right, I have been experiencing impure thoughts about this bike for months, nay years. I rode this off road a few times, the brakes were shocking, especially as the whole world has got used to the immediate and powerful response of disc brakes. It's fun to ride in the woods, but not on a biggish group ride as it would tent to old the group up.

It seemed a shame to split the bike, its rides ok, but it never a gets used as it is, the off road tires make it hard work, the cranks are flexible, and the brakes are crap. So, a makeover.

0a6ee7ca5ae373c052b877dba83e07e5_zpsca7d85a1.jpg

This plate, from 3mm mild steel was added to the frame last night.

6defb8525593d424f7a803072271874f_zpscaed753a.jpg

I also deleted the rear canti bosses and cable stop, so I could fit a caliper.

And built back up, just to keep it all in one piece. The company I work or has moved premises, and as there is less room, so outside projects need to be kept tidy.

11f199faaf21d850a55943555e1afbc7_zpsa89b7ca0.jpg

This morning, I fitted a back brake and rode into the lbs, and its instantly faster, and more fun. Result.

Back