Retro winter tyres?

drystonepaul":3r6nedga said:
As already mentioned as being on the cusp of retro, I can highly recommend Panaracer Fire XC Pro tyres. I have a pair of the early skin wall types before they all went to black wall or the coloured edge types.

The tread pattern is a great all rounder and also available in a mud friendly 1.8 size. I run the 2.1 size on two of my modern bikes at the moment.

I'm also a fan of Ritchey Z-Max.

I have a set of those, I'll have to try them out again. What pressure do you run them at?

matt24777":5hapfom9 said:
Any recommendations for a set of good retro winter tyres?

Keeping in with my tradition of using the worst tyres for the conditions i recently fitted some very nice and totally slick conti's :D

If youre going the studded route id thoroughly recommend them :cool: The more studs the better.

I found a good smoke lite works well in the gloop at the back around here.

My favourite tyres for snow a few years back where on a rip/rail set.
But they're worn now.

Unfortunately modern tyre are easier to come by so I've succumed to running modern :oops: (nobby nics and fire mud pro)

OK in the spirit of Retro, WTB Velociraptors and Panaracer Fire XC are my alrounder recommendations, both good in winter especially the Fire XC.
Why all black is not considered retro over skinwall though leaves me confused. All black have always existed retro and now.

WTB Velociraptors are brilliant generally but the front for some reason is hopeless in snow - the knobbles are too far apart.

Onza Rip / Rail were my favourites for clay/chalk, they were the only ones that seemed to self-clear. It's a pity there is nothing like them.

Nowadays I run Smoke/Dart re-issue, Schwalbe Rocket Ron and Panaracer Fire XC Pro 1.8. The tandem has WTB Velocoraptors with the rear's side knobs cut off to fit the frame.

I find Velociraptors are a very good tyre but I've just replaced mine with Maxxis Beavers for the winter as I found the front was very getting very sketchy in the mud and both of them were terrible on wet roots.

They may find there way onto another bike though as my summer fave Rocket Rons are bit poor in the gloopy stuff.

Back