L'eroica britannia

There is a looooong thread about this somewhere on here.

Some are going to be attending, some think it's a rip off, some are affronted that the organisers have not visited the site and asked for our input.

I have changed my mind several times but have decided to go, as you only get to attend the first edition once.

Taul Paul":3pesad6i said:
I'm guessing everyone knows about this? There can't be a much better reason for a Retro Bike gathering???
http://www.eroicabritannia.co.uk/

TP

There is actually a much better reason for a retrobike gathering and that would be Retrobikes very own series of national road rides that take place throughout the year.

The last ride of the year is this Saturday and can be found here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=274806

Yes I can see the points, I wasn't doing down RB, I didn't know of their events as I'm new on here.
I suppose I'm interested because it's in my regular stomping ground being from up Norf Sheffield.
It is expensive I agree, but it is going on tracks that are not available normally and it is like a themed thing throughout.
They perhaps may have benefited from talking to RB, but it's not law.
Price will put a lot off but as you say it is the first. I'm doing the 100 miler and will take my time and make a day of it, I'm sure some local juice will taken on board.

TP

My apologies Paul wasn't really a dig at yourself just venting a little frustration, we have put on some fantastic rides this year in the very best of cycling areas using local knowledge all for free including hospitality at some venues. Looks like maybe the future is to advertise in the press and charge £70 to get interest from people? :?

The thing is Dave, there is a massive difference between a sportive, where, within certain limits, a rider has plenty of time to make it around what may well be for them a taxing and difficult ride; and trying to stay with a group of fit and pretty hard core riders doing what is for them a easy ride, but is for others on the very edge of what they can manage.

There is also the matter of distance; you may want to do a longer route, in order to spend more time on the bike and to try yourself out a bit more. I, on the other hand, may only want to ride two thirds the distance you do. We can both enter the same sportive and both be accommodated, as there will be two or three distance choices. With an RB ride the route is the route, nothing wrong with that, but if that route, either in geographical terms or in distance, does not suit me, then I won't attend, as I don't want to be left behind holding everyone else up, and be made to look a pratt in the process by running out of steam when the rest of the ride have plenty left in the tanks.

Yes, true.
I'm up for 100 miles because I've done 100-10k ft climb in the peaks before, and it is very very hard work and I don't do it often. I also know the "come on chase me" situation as mi mate can climb like a goat. That said if/when I see the detail of the climbs etc I may choose to down size. Winnats Pass etc are nothing short of evil on a new bike so getting an owd one "Vitus" with a frame made of toffee up it are a none starter.
Good to talk.
Si thi thier then.

TP

I am disgusted with myself that I'm not attending a national ride just round the corner so to speak. But I do find the distances and speeds recounted on threads post ride to be way out of my league.

The brewery ride was a great idea with a joint sociable aspect paired with accommodation of proper 'retro' bikes and riders that may not have stood the longer more competitive route.

Perhaps that would be the model or just tone down the national tides to encourage/increase attendance of the less able?

Ashamed of Winchcombe :oops:

NeilM":202pg2t9 said:
hard core riders .

see that dave, we are hardcore riders.nearly dropped my sausage roll reading that :D

personally neil, I think you are plenty fit enough to get around a national ride, perhaps there will be some changes for next years rides. hope to see you there. just don't bring that triathlete son of yours :D

Back