Royce Bottom Bracket Removal- UPDATE- SUCCESS

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
To enable the release of one nice Royce BB that is completely and utterly seized in

I just got it on Ebay, Its still in the shell but the rest of the bike is missing :LOL: It would have been far easier to remove had i the frame to use for leverage but for the sellers flash of inspiration.

So what i have is a bb shell, titanium i might add with all the tubes leading off it cut through. and inside the shell is the BB.
My plan is to use a bench grinder to initially thin the shell at the bottom , cutting across the screw hole for the bottom cable guide. The reason for this spot is to use the guide hole as a guide to judge on how deep i have cut. When i think its thinned enough ill swop to a dremel with a thin grinding wheel and cut through completely. Then the same on the other side. Due to the position of the tubes i only have a smaller section to cut through.
Im guessing ill have to go very carefully where the threads are before using a hammer and chisel to split it apart.

Before you ask, i have already had a go using a big spanner and the proper Royce removal tool. Any more leverage on it will damage the tool pins.
Pic

Attachments

• Why do i do this to myself 001 (Medium).JPG
    Why do i do this to myself 001 (Medium).JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 539
Re: Bottom Bracket Removal

will it uiff out and be rideable by the weekend? what groupset are you gonna use on it?

Do you mean cut the remaining housing in two so you can twist one against the other in a vice? Ie between chainstays all the way round?

legrandefromage":30cr0euo said:
will it uiff out and be rideable by the weekend? what groupset are you gonna use on it?

:LOL: :LOL:

I should have done a thread on this :LOL: I reckon its in the right section, has to be pre '97 with its bottom routed cables.

Also id love to know what it originally was. Ti frame :? Clues, i can't quite make out the decals :LOL:

The History Man":2579sj1e said:
Do you mean cut the remaining housing in two so you can twist one against the other in a vice? Ie between chainstays all the way round?

:? Not sure i follow, you mean in doing so the 'housing(BB Shell) would split in two.
Im meaning cutting through the housing completely in the middle,one cup to another as there will be a small gap between the housing and the body of the BB. Its only the ends over the threads that i wont be able to cut right through but will cut to about 1/2mm then the chisel will spread the housing and 'crack' at the thinned section over the threads.
This is what i hope/expect to happen :?

I'll do some pics tomorrow once ive ground an approximate section, you'll see what im meaning then.

Cut it in half down the centerline and slip both cups off

File flats on the 2 pieces of shell, clamp em in a vise, and then use the correct bb tool to get the cups out

I would play a blowtorch over it to expand the BB shell and crack the corrosion that inevitably is holding it in.

hollister":1h9o3za0 said:
Cut it in half down the centerline and slip both cups off

File flats on the 2 pieces of shell, clamp em in a vise, and then use the correct bb tool to get the cups out

That's what I meant but far more eloquently explained. Cut in the opposite direction to your first thoughts and avoid threads all together.

What you have is small enough to soak in oil for a couple of days. Then as I think I understand you, you plan to slice the length of the BB and peel the shell off the cups. I think one cup may be viable, but I think you'll struggle with the second.

I would say that that bottom bracket has already been removed from the frame. :p

Latest posts

Back