Cliff Peters Cycle Shop, Aston. Any info out there on him?

Re:

Mercian:
We knew Tom quite well, going to some of the same ladies time trials.
From what I remember, his wife "Ethel?" took over the Mercian shop when Tom went off with Janet, who I think worked in the shop. She was quite a time trialist.
I hope my memory is OJK.
keith

Re: Cliff Peters Cycle Shop, Aston. Any info out there on hi

I also found this photo of my Cliff Peters bike high up in the Swiss Alps.

Attachments

• 2013-07-07_65c.JPG
    2013-07-07_65c.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 1,047
Re: Re:

keithglos":3uptzbct said:
Mercian:
We knew Tom quite well, going to some of the same ladies time trials.
From what I remember, his wife "Ethel?" took over the Mercian shop when Tom went off with Janet, who I think worked in the shop. She was quite a time trialist.
I hope my memory is OJK.
keith

Ethel married Bernard Thompson the photographer. They lived near Maidenhead which is where I got to know them. She made super bread and cakes! Wednesday evening was an open house for local riders, especially the Hounslow & District which (I think) Bernard was a member of.

geesona":222t0kp7 said:
I also found this photo of my Cliff Peters bike high up in the Swiss Alps.

Great photo. Is that a Simplex Prestige first generation plastic front changer? Did it squeak in the rain?

There I was, doing a bit of family research and came across this forum through Google search. Cliff Peters was my father and it is heart warming to see him remembered by others, outside the family. I would be happy to try and answer any questions that I can for you guys.
1. Yes he made frames = Reynold 531 tubing and where I learned to braze lugs.
2. Grandad and I used to make 'shoe-plates' on an old hand press in the back of the shop.
3. Shop was at the corner of Wheeler St. and Gerrard St.

The Shop came under compulsory purchase with the re-development of Aston in the 1960's but he carried on building bikes in my various garages through the 1970's and 80's with more emphasis on wheel building and tuning. This he carried on well into the 90's

Road Race and time trial were his passion and could be found on courses most weekends.

Note: 33 years on the milk-race

Attachments

• cliff cycling his life long passion.JPG
    cliff cycling his life long passion.JPG
    166.7 KB · Views: 907

What a marvellous thread. This sort of thing is precious, as before we know it all these little artisan shops that were the heart of the cycle trade in the 50s and 60s will have disappeared from living memory.
Another of those shops was Harry Craig (I think) who sold bikes from Bordesley Green, I believe. A friend has a 23" 531 mixte of very decent quality with his name on it.

Wow, fantastic stuff! Love piecing some of the heritage of my Uncles old Cliff Peters bike together, this is great!

Ian, thank you for taking the trouble to reply and post a photo of your father, it is much appreciated.

I hadn't ridden mine much this year, but after replacing a snapped spoke the other evening it's back on the road again. It is such a lovely machine to ride. I wonder if the frame was one your father made then?

Thanks for posting up your machine Geesona. Just looks like it has a simple CLIFF PETERS on the down tube. Be nice to reintroduce that on mine.

Quiet Mike,
I know we had some frame transfers somewhere. I will see if I can find them and will post if I do. I know I gave a bunch of stuff to Ted Dunn, who is now sadly deceased. He used to work for the Birmingham Evening Mail and lived in our village and had known my Dad for years. But this thread might reveal 'stuff'

That would be amazing if you could turn up some transfers Ian! And I have often wondered what colour the bike was originally ... Uncle Walter was unsure, a grey blue? I've always got a few projects on the go, but his bike is actually in such good order I'm not keen to strip off the more modern paint and fittings. I'll just roll it as is I think. Nice to have something has been in continual use for all it's life!

Cliff Peters by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

Back