Genesis Skyline

47p2

Senior Retro Guru
As some have already read in the Arran thread I was going to look at a used SS Genesis today, and it was in such fantastic condition and at a great price so I bought it. I actually felt bad taking it for a test run as it was chucking it down and I bet that was the first time the bike has ever been out in the rain. The old fella even gave me a set of mudguards so I will be fitting them and using this bike throughout the winter months as much as possible

Here are a few pictures

P1050685.jpg

P1050686.jpg

P1050687.jpg

P1050688.jpg

P1050689.jpg

P1050690.jpg

P1050691.jpg

P1050692.jpg

P1050693.jpg

P1050694.jpg

Skyline.jpg

Might be something wrong with my glasses but the handlebars, brakes look massive in comparison to the rest of the bike. Also just looking at drop bars make my neck hurt, psychosomatic.
Cool though !

velomaniac":671mk8yg said:
Might be something wrong with my glasses but the handlebars, brakes look massive in comparison to the rest of the bike.
On most modern bikes the handlebars and brakes look oversized.

highlandsflyer":671mk8yg said:
I like that. Looks sturdy!
Feels sturdy ;)

I've a grin like a Cheshire cat today after taking the Skyline for its first proper ride, a 13 mile loop which has 851 feet of elevation and I have to say I'm well impressed with the way the Reynolds 520 tubing absorbs the rough roads around here, much smoother than carbon, then steel always is. I was also chuffed to mintballs with my performance considering it's been over 45 years since I last rode SS. Before I left the house I thought I might have to push the bike up some of the climbs, but the gearing seems just about right and I managed to keep going without having to dismount. :D
I may have to lower the saddle just a tad as I was bouncing at higher cadences.

The only negative I have found so far is using SPD pedals and shoes with the mudguards which causes some toe overlap, so thanks to the plonker in the open top Merc who almost caused me to land on the ground at Mearns Cross...Pillock :evil: :evil:

Attachments

• P1050697.JPG
    P1050697.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,049
Lowered the saddle about 15mm and it feels a lot better now,still bouncing a little but that's probably down to me being a slob. 12 miles today in the traffic, amazing just how quick it can be away from the lights when you push hard on the pedals. Just need to source a decent saddle, the one fitted is breaking my ass.

Anyone have a Prologo Scratch Pro kicking about, well used would work I don't mind

You riding fixed or freewheel as the rear wheel seems to have a flip flop hub. I thought all you serious oldschool roadies did fixie through the winter ;)

Freewheel at the moment velo, I'm going to flip the wheel once I get the hang of single speed.

The weird thing is I have a fixed wheel sprocket lying in the garage that I bought 30 years ago and never got round to using, I've always wanted to go fixed so its almost time. Should make for some interesting pedalling until I get the hang of it

Go fixed and the bouncing will stop :) I must admit I do like that.

kaiser":3mfwzb5a said:
Go fixed and the bouncing will stop :) I must admit I do like that.

Once I get the hang of single speed I'll flip the wheel ;)

Collected my new Prologo saddle this evening and fitted it so now when my legs are suffering I know my bottom will be nicely perched without any suffering :LOL: :LOL:

Back