Brazing/welding - Saving a frame from the scrap yard

Melon

Dirt Disciple
Does anyone out there in London/Kent have an interest in bringing a frame back from the dead? And the skills/equipment to braze?

I have a poor Claud Bulter frame with a broken dropout, can't bring myself to throw it away.

Not looking for a professional job, the frame is worth less than the fix cost, just someone that can have a go!

(Obviously I would pay all costs and will throw in a crate of beers or a bit of cash for your trouble)
Anyone?

Freddie

Re: Brazing - Saving a frame from the scrap yard

Picture of the dropout ? ...........beefy dropouts can be welded I guess.

Shaun

It's not pretty. How does welding compare to brazing? I would imagine it's a more common skill?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 400

If you still have the other bit your local welder / blacksmith type person would probably repair it pretty cheap..

mattsccm":2ut03yhz said:
Beat it flat and it will mig straight on.

Make sure afterward you carry out NDT Dye Pen on the weld or have it MPI'ed to complete the job fully for piece of mind if going down the welding route.....

Melon":2pre8w0f said:
I do but unfortunately it's very bent.

had a similar mishap awhile ago but successfully reshaped in a bench vice....just squeeze the jaws tight

I'll supply a nice pair of forged dropouts for that, karma, if you need.
Always best to replace both if you don't have a perfect match. Any repair of the existing will put a weak join at the point of highest stress, not a good idea.
The old ones will pull out easily enough from the domed stay ends. Clean up and replace.
All the best,

Back