Another ALAN...another cracked headtube :(

bm0p700f":213byfk3 said:
If the difference between the headtube ID and cup OD is 0.15mm or greater the cups will require a lot of force to go in and this could lead tot he cracks observed.

So what you're saying is 'if it isn't cracked now and you don't change the headset it will be fine'?

Well as knocking the cups out and pressing them in again is a risk as it may not take much misalignment to cause damage I think it is best to leave alone unless the cups are really worn.

Of course the cracks could be due to stress arising during riding but the location radiating from the end of the head tubes suggests otherwise.

Thanks again everyone.

Since I was looking for a frame to ride as a cyclocross
bike I certainly don't want to risk riding this.

It does have a few decent parts on it that I will probably
try to sell on.

Johnny

alan and vitus frames were notorious for cracking "in my day" ( :roll: ) and alans especially so in the head tube and bb areas. and that was back in the 80s so perhaps it's not surprising that this frame of your's is cracked now. i'm not sure of the quality of that headset that's fitted to it but i think it's more due to the fact that alans as nice as they were, were too "soft" to have any kind of life on the road, especially at the legs of a bigger rider. i'm afraid that i'd have to agree that it's best to let this one go back to it's owner.

:?

I have a guy by where I live who builds alloy suspension and other parts for some of the top motor racing firms in the world. If it was my frame I would remove the cups, groove the inside of the crack, get it welded and reamer it out to the correct size for the headset.

If it were my frame I would speak to local welders who were used to working with aluminium, I'm sure it could be sorted with an angle grinder and a bit of Tig welding

another idea if you dont want to weld it...

remove the old cups, the crack should close and be invisible

groove the inside of the crack

buy some 'JB WELD' think Amazon the cheapest

mix as per instructions and fill the groove in

then get the top and bottom reamed out with a proper headset tool..

fit a quality headset..

Latest posts

Back