Arran Road Circuit - Saturday November 2nd

47p2":1h510vkh said:
This might be the dumbest question yet... :shock:

I'm going to look at buying a used single speed Genesis today, do you guys think it would be possible to do this route with a single speed bike on Saturday? :LOL:

Taking into account the following:-

1. I'm only a few months back into cycling after a 25 year gap away from it :oops:
2. I haven't ridden single speed since I was 12 years old :shock:
3. That was around 45 years ago :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Oooft, I reckon you'd need to be a pretty strong cyclist, the south end is fairly rolling with a few steep ramps, then the climb at Lochranza normally has most folks on gears suffering.

kaiser":1lrem6u5 said:
then the climb at Lochranza normally has most folks on gears suffering.

I could always walk up the climbs and that would give the rest of the guys a breather :LOL: :LOL:

Thats true. I'm not sure but I think even some of the folks with gears were walking anyroads!(last time we went)

47p2":6iie3v6w said:
This might be the dumbest question yet... :shock:

I'm going to look at buying a used single speed Genesis today, do you guys think it would be possible to do this route with a single speed bike on Saturday? :LOL:

Taking into account the following:-

1. I'm only a few months back into cycling after a 25 year gap away from it :oops:
2. I haven't ridden single speed since I was 12 years old :shock:
3. That was around 45 years ago :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I thought from all the bikes listed on your sig that you were right intae it ! And I've seen you on the GFG forum.
You've got some nice bikes already !
I wouldn't bring a single speed when you've got gears available. Although Rado did bring a single speed mountain bike to the Killin road run last year and burnt us all up the 2 big climbs (except for ZZ who managed to keep up with him on a fairly modern road bike with gears)

Arran is not for single speeds. On the flats you'll be undergeared and on the hills overgeared. The climbs on any part bar the south end are tough. admittedly I've circuited on a 3 speed Brompton but that was years past in a fitter time and its bottom gear was still reasonably low. Bring gears and if you worry your leaving folk behind then stop and let us catch you. Difficult to get lost though, if you keep the sea to your left as we go around clockwise you should be fine.

Would have to agree, don't SS Arran unless your name is Rado!

And I didn't really keep up with Rado at Killin, I just kept him in sight. For a while. :)

kaiser":2018wmke said:
...but I think even some of the folks with gears were walking anyroads!(last time we went)

Is it really that bad :shock:

velomaniac":2018wmke said:
...if you worry your leaving folk behind then stop and let us catch you.

I doubt I will be leaving anyone behind :cry:

Weather forecast has improved , no rain forecast until 3pm and the wind speed now forecast to be 11mph which is a big drop.
I was doubtful at first cause I'm a miserable pessimist but now I'm glad I got time off work :D

Personally not had to walk up the hill out of Lochranza, its steep but doable. Have had to walk up 'The Ross' and 'The String' when coming from the east going west. Literally ran out of gears/puff/will to live on those hills.
Bring SS if you like but you have received fair warning ;)

Back