Muddyfox Courier 1987 compatability help

steviep26

Retro Newbie
I have recently inherited a 1987 Muddyfox courier and stumbled onto this forum while researching parts for it. I've been really impressed with the bikes on display.

This is my first project and although I don't want to do a complete restoration I'm keen to use some of the original parts.

It would be great if I could get some pointers with the following;

1. What size is the bottom bracket?

2. Could I rebuild the original wheels and replace the free wheel with a free hub?

3. Alternatively would the seat stays have enough room to fit news wheels with a 7 or 8 speed cassette?

Any help would be appreciated, I have a limited budget and don't want to blow it on incompatible parts. Thanks in advance.

steviep26":2bdflq4t said:
I have recently inherited a 1987 Muddyfox courier and stumbled onto this forum while researching parts for it. I've been really impressed with the bikes on display.

This is my first project and although I don't want to do a complete restoration I'm keen to use some of the original parts.

It would be great if I could get some pointers with the following;

1. What size is the bottom bracket?

The shell will probably be 68mm (but measure it with calipers as it could be 73mm, the axle width you need will depend on the chainset but check sheldon browns site for the more common requirements

2. Could I rebuild the original wheels and replace the free wheel with a free hub?

Yes, you could but you will need to get a frame builder to coldset the frame (change the rear dropout width) if you wish to run more than 6 speed

3. Alternatively would the seat stays have enough room to fit news wheels with a 7 or 8 speed cassette?

Yes, you could but you will need to get a frame builder to coldset the frame (change the rear dropout width) if you wish to run more than 6 speed

Any help would be appreciated, I have a limited budget and don't want to blow it on incompatible parts. Thanks in advance.

IIRC it is a 130mm rear spacing (correct me if I'm wrong). In that case you can run up to 10 speed on the back as it's exactly the same spacing as modern road bikes. Admittedly I would prefer more dish and a stronger wheel.

Respacing the frame to 135mm is definitely a good idea though, likewise fitting a freehub. Older 7 speed freehubs are around £10-15 and are a good start for a wheel rebuild.

hamster":3sh5d6p7 said:
IIRC it is a 130mm rear spacing (correct me if I'm wrong). In that case you can run up to 10 speed on the back as it's exactly the same spacing as modern road bikes. Admittedly I would prefer more dish and a stronger wheel.

Respacing the frame to 135mm is definitely a good idea though, likewise fitting a freehub. Older 7 speed freehubs are around £10-15 and are a good start for a wheel rebuild.

this. the spacing for the rear wheels is pretty universal and hasn't changed much, i can comfortably fit a 9 speed back wheel in my 80's fisher as the dropout width is the same as all my other bikes.
just get one of the many 8 speed cassette rear wheels from the for sale section on here and put a 8 or 9 speed cassette on it. but dont forget you will have to change the shifters, chain and probably the rear mech.

I have some parts from 1987 Courier lurking in the shed.

Complete canti brake set, levers calipers etc.
Thumb shifters
Bars
Crankset, only with smallestest inner ring, no idea what happened to the others.

PM if you are interested.

Have found the original bottom bracket I removed from the frame,
It is 73mm shell with a 118mm axle.

Thanks for all the the responses to my post.

I think initially I will get the wheels checked over and then put all the orginal components back on, replacing the brake and gear cables. Dropped the frame and forks off to be powder coated today and the wheels are going in for a check over tomorrow.

Keen to do as much of the work as possible myself as I find it stangely theraputic tinkering with the bike.

If it turns out well I'll post some pics once completed.

P.S I'll no doubt have many more questions in the coming weeks.

Chute55uk":61jeyrj1 said:
hamster":61jeyrj1 said:

this. the spacing for the rear wheels is pretty universal and hasn't changed much, i can comfortably fit a 9 speed back wheel in my 80's fisher as the dropout width is the same as all my other bikes.
just get one of the many 8 speed cassette rear wheels from the for sale section on here and put a 8 or 9 speed cassette on it. but dont forget you will have to change the shifters, chain and probably the rear mech.

If the Fisher was '89 onwards and fitted with Shimano Mountain LX upwards it would have a 135mm spacing meaning anything produced since will fit. The Courier being '87 and only 18 speed will be 130mm and will need either a Suntour XC Comp/Pro 130mm 7's hub (rare as rocking horse poo) or a cold set to 135mm to take anything 7/8/9 speed.

Carl.

Back