1991 Marin pine mountain.......finished on page 2......

Re: 1991 Marin pine mountain.......

Hi the zolatone finish can be recreated by adding a matting agent to 2k clearcoat you can also recreate any texture finish using this method but this requires a professional paint sprayer, for example if you look at the bumper mouldings on a Renault megane they are textured with a mat finish, that finish is achieved through the application of a clear coat with the matting agent added, you just change the ratios for a different texture. I teach vehicle body repair and paint in a college, we could refinish your frame as a project, if you are interested send me a pm

Thanks

Stuart

Re: 1991 Marin pine mountain.......update and finished pics

matthew71":10wpgmaq said:
nice one daz, and I bet don was thrilled to see that.and is there any chance of getting that room painted? it,s been like that for the last 2 years :D

It's the man cave!.....the vibe would be wrong in there if I redecorated!..... :LOL: ........I'm still waiting for you to get the second rack put up too!.....I will even get the kettle on!...... :D

Oh, and sshhhh about the bike.......she's stopped looking and I've stopped telling!.......y'get me!..... ;)

Good work - I have just picked up one of these myself - that's three new threads for 1991 Pine Mountains in the last week!
Be interesting to compare (although mine may be the worst of the lot)!

A good scrub with white spirit does wonders at cleaning zolatone - use a nail brush / toothbrush to really get into the rough finish. Try not to scrub near the decals, as said.

Update time.......a big thanks to stu for his efforts. A bit of packing and posting, and some time in his painting classes and I'm left with this.......

.....it looks great, and once I've had the forks/stem/bars powder coated in tangerine orange it will all come together and look stunning.

.....the finish is best described with a picture.....

.....the texture is that of relatively coarse sandpaper. It does however leave me with the problem of adhesion of graphics. I didn't pre-order a set and waited until I had the frame back, and knowing the problem with standard zolatone and reproduction stickers I doubt they will withstand the onslaught of a muddy life......has anyone else overcome this issue?......

Nice one Daz, just spotted this thread..not been on here as much as usual!!! :(

My Eldridge is a bit of a mish mash at the moment!!! Love riding it, great frames.

Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Well Daz it will look great when it is built. It is very difficult to re create that finish, trying to get equal coverage on a frame is not easy due to the way the textured paint naturally wants to travel downwards as it is atomized, plus zolatone has white specs in it, you suffer the same issues trying to recreate that. Daz if you can mark out exactly where the decals are going you could always flat that area with some 1200 wet and dry. This will create a slightly smoother area for the decals to adhere to, hope this helps mate :D

Has anyone managed to source some zolatone paint in this country yet, it only seems to be avalable in the USA :facepalm:

Bike finished over the weekend. It's been the most involved build I've done and I'm delighted with the result......

The repainted frame looks just great, thanks to you stu (slmracing) for your efforts. I'm glad it proved useful to your classes and I hope I've done it justice!

The stem was a karma offering from bryncrug72, many thanks again martin!........

The front end has been powder coated, detailing from Gil and basically a full strip and rebuild. I've gone right into it, even spending time tapping out the threads for the grub screws on the canti's......it all got a bit anal really!.......

It's largely original. Some changes were made by the previous owner who replaced the rims, and I have fitted new brake blocks and a chain (the old one lost half it's weight when I decreased it to have a proper look).

I've tried to stay true to its original character though, with a spot of purple ano just because.......to be honest I'm made up with it, it will be a shame to get it muddy!........ :D :D

Nice one Daz...looks brilliant. :cool:

Those rims are bomb proof. I have them on my VooDoo, just superb.

Have you ridden it yet? Love my Eldridge, i know ive upset the purists by putting V brakes on it, but it gets ridden and i couldnt get on with the intergrated levers/shifters :?

Im running an XTR rear mech at the mo but after seeing yours, i might put the LX back on again.

...and who are you kidding...you ain't that tall ;)

Back